Velvet showjump hats - outdated??

Ash the arab

Visit site
Been thinking about Olympia shopping list and i quite fancy a new hat.
I've got my everyday one but would like a new one for sj and dressage comps.
I have a black Pikeur jacket with silver trim so would go for a black velvet hat - but would i look 'out of fashion' in the jumping ring?!!
blush.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
Of course you won't! John Whitaker wears a black velvet hat, and to be honest I prefer the black velvet hats than the really expensive GPA hats!

vivhewe

Visit site
Velvet every time. Chances are the riders who have all the fancy stuff can't ride for sh:t! I can think of a few examples right away
smirk.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
No, you wouldnt look out of place. If your doing BSJA then yeah most people wear GPA's etc. but some still wear velvets. I always wear my velvet one for the eventing SJ.

GPA's are WAY smarter than velvets I think - I noticed some of you are slagging them off! They are also supremely comfortable, my head never gets hot in these. The only GPA's I dont like are the newer ones with too much ventilation everywhere, I think they make people look like bumble bees.....!

the watcher

Visit site
I don't do any showjumping these days but still much prefer the look of a velvet hat (yes with hairnet LOL)..some of the newer designs are small and just look like bullets..although I do like the LAS hats with the suede finish

samp

Visit site
If you are also going to do dressage I would recommend that you use a vlevet hat with leather harness. I wear A GPA for SJ due to the fact they have flexible peaks. Previous velvet hats have not and when I have unfortunately landed on my face/ peak I have then had whiplash as a result of the hat tipping back into my neck

kirstyfk

Visit site
You will never get me into those cycle helmets!! And you will also never see me in a ring with out a hairnet (unless i have forgotten it or it has a massive hole) if I have forgotten it I put it in a bun. I hate seeing hair flap about!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Don't worry i have just recently got a black velvet hat as needed to replace my old hat after couple of falls over the summer! the GPAs did suit me but as i do dressage as well, i was not going to do dressage in a GPA.
And of course hairnet at all times, can't stand people who don't wear them, they look soo scruffy!

Rambo

Visit site
I prefer the Champion Ventair style personally....and definitely NO hairnet
tongue.gif

Plenty of people SJ in 'old-fashioned' velvet hats though so don't worry about it
smile.gif

wench

Visit site
Velvet ones look better - I splashed out on a GPA one, I look like a right prat, my £20 velevet harry hall one (also bought at same time) looks much smarter - althou I presume the GPA one has more "safety" features!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Velvet ones look better - I splashed out on a GPA one, I look like a right prat, my £20 velevet harry hall one (also bought at same time) looks much smarter - althou I presume the GPA one has more "safety" features!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't presume that at all ! A lot of the GPA hats don't get a very high rating at all
shocked.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Just got myself a Charles Owen SJ XP jobby - very nice and pretty light. Got mine as not allowed to do RC dressage in my beagler. Will hopefully use it for a few other things as well. I like the look of the velvet hats.