Vented hats

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I need to buy a new riding hat due to mine meeting a sticky end at the hands (paws, teeth..?!) of my 18 month old Great Dane ???
I get really hot esp in lessons and was looking at the more "vented" type hats. I really like the fit and feel of the Dublin Silver Pro graphic hat but before I commit I just wanted to ask if this sort of hat really does keep your head a little cooler..??

Roxylola

Visit site
I have a charles owen pro 2 jockey skull which I think is similar. I do find it's a bit cooler than my old j3 skull but not massively so. I think the new removable liners help a lot though

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
don't know about the dublin one but I have a CO Ayrbrush (stupendous price but very comfortable) and it does feel cooler and less disgusting than my other hats that I've had. I think it's partly because of the lining though, it's removable but also quite sparse so your whole head isn't encased in foamy padding, only around the rim and a bit on the inside.
Might you be able to get hold of one in the flesh and look at it or are you ordering online? don't seem to have any photos of the inside of the dublin hat.

I had a caldene hat that was so vented my head felt cold, I wasn't sure about that one from a safety POV, I never managed to get it as secure as the others as it felt perched on my head like a cap :oops:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I wear off road standard bike riding hats that are made lower at the back than other bike helmets. My understanding is they pass the same standard of tests as horse riding hats except for the penetration test, which they would fail because of the open vents. Far more comfortable in hot weather.

I know some people think they aren't safe enough, but I see off road bikers tearing down rocky hills through trees doing far more dangerous stuff than any riding I'm doing.

They also come in high vis.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have the original version (EN1384) of the gatehouse air rider.
It is the second I have because Frank put his blood hoof in the first one and then moved around with it on said hoof. . . .

I have a charles owen pro II as my 'legal' hat, but the gatehouse is way better for summer (my head tends to swell a bit and I can just turn the dial to make it bigger)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have a lovely LAS endurance hat that was super cool - but sadly since I managed to knock myself out the permanent lump the accident has left on my head means it is really uncomfortable and I can no longer wear it. I am gutted I have to say :( I have now reverted back to my Whitaker hat and it is ok'ish for ventilation but just does not compare to the LAS.

Pippity

Visit site
I've got the RXC1, which is probably cooler than something completely unvented but not as cool as my old Uvex. However, landing on my Uvex left me unable to see properly for a couple of days, and I still can't remember a lot of that day. Landing on my RXC1, I didn't even get a headache. They were very different falls (being launched from a 16.3hh who'd decided to give a trotting pole 3' of clearance, vs toppling over the shoulder of a 15hh who's got a neat little spin when a bird erupts from between her front feet) but I'm still a bit reluctant to trust an Uvex again.

Visit site
The Uvex hats are amazing, I tried a few on for a photo shoot for someone's website a few years ago and boy theyre comfy and lightweight, a lot nicer than 'normal' hats.

I have a Troxel Cheyenne and I love that and its cool (but obviously it suits my love of all things western).