Verminous Aneurysm

1434cundell

Visit site
Can anyone provide any information at all about “verminous aneurysm” in horses?

I am looking to understand what having one of these aneurysm’s mean to a pony and if they’ve had it long term possibly for many years what the prognosis is.

To cut a very long story short I bought a pony on 11th Jan and have had lots and lots of issues with her including a chronic throat infection which had affected her windpipe, extreme weight loss, abdominal pain, colic, lack of appetite, lethargy.

My vet examined her when called out for a bout of bad colic and he is certain he has found a large verminous aneurysm on her main artery.

Research hasn’t really given any details to help me with answers.

Many Thanks

D66

Visit site
" The Stedman's Medical Dictionary refers to a special type of aneurysm observed in horses, caused by intra-vascular migration of a worm, the Strongylus vulgaris. It has been named verminous aneurysm and generally involves the mesenteric arteries."
A friends pony died when it fell into a stream and had a heart attack attempting to get out. The vet said that a worm burden had weakened the artery wall. I think it is one of the issues you get with rescue cases.

1434cundell

Visit site
Thank you both. My vet is speaking to an expert today on possible medication but I’m wondering how effective it could be if she’s had this issue for many many years.

From my own research which has been difficult I have gleaned that these aneurysm’s can cause ulcer issues and colic which is what our girl is suffering with along with her chronic throat infection.

I do feel like we are up against it with her ..... each day is different and some day I feel positive and others I think it would be kinder to let her go.