Very bossy mare

Irishcobs

Visit site
My mare, Hattie is very very bossy, she likes to be in charge of other horses, is a saint with people. When I went to see her to buy her I was told she had a punch up, earlier that year, with a grey mare and both needed stitches (you can still see Hattie's scar).
Luckily my gelding is very submissive and lets her be the boss.
I have to be very careful with who I can hack with, where I can warm up at comps etc as if a mare comes to close to her she will try it attack them. This is part of the reason why I am AIing her.
I've had mares for all of my life, some dominant but no so aggressive, I've never heard of a mare like her, is it a normal thing or has something happened to her to make her so aggressive?

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have had bossy mares but never attacking when ridden. I have had hormonal mares, but they have not always been bossy.

Maybe a blood test is worth considering just to check out her hormone levels, especially if you are intending to breed.

There is of course the possibility that there is past history.

frannieuk

Visit site
I have a super-dominant mare who can't be turned out with other horses as she duffs them up! She has to be handled very calmly and she has to know that the handler is above her in the pecking order, if she is unsure she becomes insecure which seems to result in aggression. I have had her since a 3yo (now 8) and and don't know her previous history. I have to say that she is excellent whilst ridden and generally when led, and simply ignores other horses. I am of the opinion that dominant mares like ours feel they have to enforce their position as top of pack!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Hopefully a Lusitano x arab palomino.

icon.jpg

Theresa_F

Visit site
If you ever want some really good GC sires, let me know - I have a few contacts, especially if you want to breed something bigger that is from the best GC bloodlines.

If only I had bought the mare I went to buy and not fell in love with the Stinker at first sight.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Oh yes will definately get them from you. I was looking at The Pickpocket and Bashful Bobby Dazzler but they are both under 14.2hh. Although All That jazz isn't far from me and he's 15.2hh.