Very drastic and sudden change in behaviour

olop

Visit site
Two weeks ago my sharer noticed that my boy was a bit grumpy towards her when she brushed or stroked him, I put it down to the drop in the weather and thought no more of it.

Last week I went to brush him and he completely flipped out and was trying to kick me (front and back legs!) which is completely out of character for him as he has not got a bad bone in his body.

I immediately called the vet and she was baffled, she couldn't get near him to touch him and suggested I bute him over the weekend and reasses the situation on Monday. Monday came and the bute made no difference but he had been changed to haylage from hay the week before that so we switched back to hay and again reassess the situation a week later.

Still no improvement a week later so he's going in for a scope and ultrasound scan tomorrow. She is thinking it may be ulcers.

He has no other symptoms. Once you risk life and limb tacking up he he as absolute joy to ride, no girthiness and he is eating and drinking fine. No lameness and if anything he is actually working better!

Any ideas? I'm hoping the vet can find something but if not I'm really at a loss at what could make him switch to this demon horse! He definitely isn't doing it to be nasty I genuinely think it's pain related.

Anyone else been through similar? Sorry for the essay, all very strange!

olop

Visit site
He's on Alfa a molasses free with speed beet and topspec all in one, he's been in this regime for years though.

Not clipped at the moment, I don't think he's too hot, he goes out in a lightweight turnout and is in at night with a lightweight rug and fleece underneath.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Has he an injury? Hurt his withers? Been kicked in the ribs? Rolled awkwardly? Clutching at straws here! But you are right, if a horse has a very sudden change in character something is going on.

liveinthenow

New User
Visit site
It's not a build up of static electricity giving him an electric shock? Certain rugs/brushes seem to produce static electricity and seems to be worse on long winter coats.

Archangel

Visit site
I would take the fleece off too - it could very well be static. However a friend's mare went a bit haywire once and was a liver problem so perhaps worth running bloods again.

olop

Visit site
He was scoped yesterday and unfortunately has grade 4 ulcers, I knew something wasn't right, he must have had them a while and just got totally fed up with it. At least we have a diagnosis now.

Yes he had liver disease last year, poor sod has this to deal with now.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
glad you've found out what his problem was! My horse will always react outrageously when he has some sort of pain! he starts with small signs and if you don't notice them he will have a full on hissy fit, rearing normally!

what treatment has the vet suggested for him?

olop

Visit site
He's got a months worth of gastroguard and he's to be re-scoped at the end of the month. The treatment is expensive but I'm just glad they are treatable.

He's quite clever really, trying to tell me something was wrong in his own little way bless him!

Tangaroo

Visit site
Glad you've got a diagnosis. Do you know why hes got the ulcers? I only ask as my boy has grade 3 and has had them for 10 months! Hes been on gastrogard for months, then came off it and now back on it. We are still trying to find out what is causing them.

olop

Visit site
Your poor boy :( mine has grade 4 and I'm sure it was a combination of him standing around in a paddock with hardly any grass and then a switch to haylage unfortunately :( :( :( my vet seems to think stress plays a huge part in ulcers and even if you don't think your horse is stressing, inside he could be and just covering it up.