(Very!) early morning hacking - good idea?

diddy

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just interested in people’s thoughts about this. I am restarting my youngster after 6 months off and building up our workload. We have pretty good hacking but have to ride about 10 minutes along a fairly busy B-road/rat-run to get to it. Ideally I need to get her out every day – both to improve her fitness and to get her used to the traffic. She’s been doing really well and is getting much better at dealing with the cars but she is still a baby and I don’t want to scare her (or me!).

I have tried going out as late as possible i.e. about 8 p.m. but the road is still pretty busy. Most drivers are fine and considerate but we have had a couple of bad experiences where people have squeezed past too close for comfort, upset the horse and shouted at us too for good measure! One of my neighbours has also told me I shouldn't be riding on a road that people use for commuting to work and getting in their way, which has made me a bit paranoid as I try to be as thoughtful as possible and avoid rush-hour etc. even on my other horse who is very good in traffic.

I am thinking of trying the morning instead (5.30-ish). My question is – does that sound like a good solution? Or are people likely to be half-asleep and not expecting to see a horse? I do have the option to take her somewhere with more narrow/windy lanes (so people don’t drive so fast and can’t squeeze past!) but that would mean only getting her out maybe 2 or 3 times a week – but this might be a better compromise? What d’you think?

Long-term it will hopefully be alright as I'm hoping she will get used to the traffic. And if she doesn't, we won't be going out everyday so I can box her somewhere else if it comes to it. So I guess this is more about what to do right now if that makes sense?! Thanks - I feel better just getting it off my chest!

D. x

WandaMare

Visit site
I've always been an early morning hacker, my route is mainly narrow country lanes to get to some nice tracks through the woods. I go about 6.20 for an hour and my experience of traffic at that time is 90% horsey & farming folk driving to their yards, so in the main very considerate. If I leave things too late and edge on towards 7.45 the commuters start cutting through the lanes and they are very often not happy to be held up by a horse on their way to work. I actually don't blame them really so I try and get home before I start getting in the way!

I much prefer that time of day for riding than the evenings, its lovely and cool and the wildlife you see at that time is well worth getting up for. I regularly see hares, deer, foxes and all sorts of birds hopping about :)

I would give it a go, maybe have a cycle round first just to check it all seems suitable for your youngster.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Last year I was hacking before work, so getting back to the yard for 6am. Part of the ride was on winding lanes and some down the village front. TBH I don't see a clip clop is as loud as the lorries etc that no one thinks twice about driving at any time. No one complained anyway.

Earliest time was out of the yard at 4.30am, because the horse flies were still in bed!

Summit

Visit site
Yes early morning rides are much better, less traffic, no heat or flies plus it wakes everyone up :D

diddy

Visit site
Interesting replies, thank you! I think 4.30 might be pushing it(!) but definitely need to be home by 6.30 as the traffic is already quite busy by then - your commuters sound much more laid-back than the ones around here Wanda :) And I'm not worried about waking people up as we're currently barefoot!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm an early morning hacker and would always hack first thing. People are a bit more alert and less in a hurry to get home. It's much much quieter round me at 6am than 6pm.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's generally very quiet here around 6am with just one or two cars. Although some people drive to work on autopilot, early morning motorists are creatures of habit. I see the same drivers every day and they are used to seeing me on the roads, so they aren't as likely to be taken by surprise at the sight of a horse and rider.
Early morning is a good time to ride in summer. It's cooler and there are less flies about.,

TGM

Visit site
I found early mornings on a weekend much better than early weekday mornings when I was in a similar situation. We have quite a few London commuters around here who leave very early on a weekday but have a lie-in at the weekends!

teddypops

Visit site
I ride early some mornings as it is much quieter but I have come across some idiots driving far too fast because they assume no one else is on the road.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I ride early some mornings as it is much quieter but I have come across some idiots driving far too fast because they assume no one else is on the road.

Yes, this 100%. There is far less traffic in the early morning so it is a far nicer experience, BUT as above, you have to have your wits about you. You feel very virtuous as you return to your yard, having exercised your horse and have the rest of the day to do things.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I used to get up and go out at 430 am, it was great quiet roads and used to see all sorts of wildlife

Antw23uk

Visit site
I hack early at weekends, I've usually done an hour and a bit hack on two horses and finished by 1000! Im not one for riding in rush hour BUT recently i've been hacking from just after 1700 for an hour or so! Everyone is in a rush, some slow some don't! The ones that slow get a thank you the ones that don't get ignored (with the occasional rude gesture from me if I can be bothered …. I rarely can these days!)

I know its different for you with a youngster OP but I started watching Barry Hook on youtube last year (he drives, I ride but have asperations, lol) and he goes towards the loud noises, massive arctics, fast cars etc. His reasoning is he needs his horses bombproof in all situations and its basically 'free' training …. So having been a firm thanker (steady!) and road rage car driver abuser … (I would think nothing of taking my stirrup off and giving someone a hiding with it if they endangered my horse!) .... I have gone with his method of just getting on with it and expecting my horses to behave in any situation with any type of driver and you know its made me more chilled, the horses are more chilled and I feel much more in control.

Saying that I pass on hacking on a Friday night when everyone has that demented 'must get home' look about them! I wish I could hack early mornings but I can hardly function in the morning let alone tack up and ride, lol! I say go out early, stick loads of high viz on and put everything down to good exposure good or bad. Stay safe :)

skint1

Visit site
I prefer early morning riding, lucky not to have navigate any roads if I don't want to, but we do have to cross one increasingly busy B road, used to be not too bad but lately it's really bad between 7am-9am.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I go hacking at 6am and don’t see much traffic. I often meet the milk tanker and if I’m late I get stuck behind the cows which makes me late for work.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I would. Though I would be decked out like a Christmas tree incase of dozy drivers. I have the most amazing flashing lights which I’m sure you can see from the moon !

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I did try early morning (i.e. 5 a.m.) hacking last summer when it was so incredibly hot; but what I encountered was a load of morons in sleep-deprivation mode, hunched over their steering wheels basically still with the "Sleep" switch still on!

You get motorists - a lot of the White Van Man brigade (and yes bike riders too) - who literally drag themselves out of bed for the early shift, and they then shovel their beer guts behind the steering wheels of their vehicles, and engage their wheels into their fave rat run, and frankly they're just in automotive mode and aren't thinking about horses - or anyone else for that matter - who they might encounter on their route. Couple that with the sun being low in the sky at that time of the day and you've got a potentially iffy situation.

An awful lot of really nasty accidents occur in the early morning; I used to work (as a civilian) in a police traffic department, and this is a known fact, that this is the worst time for accidents to happen.

Yes it is nice to be out and about before everyone else is; but personally I wouldn't risk being out on the roads at that time again. A huge pity as it's a lovely time of day.

pippixox

Visit site
I would stick to the straight wide roads even if you meet a few early commuters. They can see you better. I hate country roads as full of blind bends.
Just kit yourself out in every bit of hi vis! I even have a flashing tabard

I used to regularly hack about 6-6.30 although it was mostly on farm land. Great in the summer as cooler so the horses were happier

Leandy

Visit site
I would definitely do this. It sounds a good solution. I think you need to be a bit more assertive though. Do what is best to keep yourself safe but don't please feel guilty about "getting in commuters way". You are as entitled to use the roads as they are. Roads are for sharing for all road users and all need to be considerate of each other. You could argue that they are all equally getting in each others way in all commuting at the same time! If they don't want busy roads or to get held up in the rush hour they are equally able to travel at a different (earlier) time. I saw an interesting quote once, not sure where, to the effect that you are not entitled to complain about being "stuck in traffic", as you "are the traffic" ie it is not them holding you up when you are "stuck in traffic", it is all of you at the same time holding each other up!