Very happy and surprised

Agent XXX999

Visit site
My Dad rode Bruce today.....

Now I have always known that my Dad used to ride - that is wear my interest was spurred from (so to speak) however, he hasnt ridden since I was youg (very young, I am talking 20 years here) and has always been the type of Dad to let me learn from my mistakes and let someone else do the teaching (which I am more than happy with!)

Anyway...he said that that he fancied a ride on Bruce. Thinking that he was joking, I ignored him, but he was actually serious so I took him out today over the downs, intending only to walk.

Apart from the fact he rode like Lester Piggot, he was really good! We ended up walk, trotting and cantering - and he loved every second....not bad for a near 60 year old!

It transpires that he used to jump in the British Airways Hunter Trials (does anyone know what these are?) and also at Guilford County Show?!?!?!? I never knew this and I am totally shocked! He said the jumps werent small either...

My Dad secretly knows how to ride....well. I am really proud of him (and cant believe I didnt know!)

crazy.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
crazy.gif
cool.gif
<font color="purple"> </font>

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Sounds like he had a fabulous time
grin.gif

Never heard of the BA Hunter Trials though....has he not got any piccies you could see.....bet that'd be really interesting to to see.

My mum hasn't ridden for many,many years,and doubt she ever will again....but it was tagging along with her that got me interested in horses:)

Bethxx

vivhewe

Visit site
Sounds fab! My granda is 75 and decided he wanted to ride Danny and had a go on him, had him going well too!

I don't think he'll be wanting back on now though!
wink.gif

ExtremeB

Visit site
Isn't it amazing what you find out about your parents. I found out last week that my dad had the offer of a place at a racing yard in newmarket nearly 60yrs ago (he's 74 now). Would have been a hard life back then and he decided not to go ahead. Can't believe he's spent the last 30 years telling me to slow down!
smile.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I ALSO used to ride in the BA hunter trials, they sponsored the UK HT championships which were held for many years at Kilsby in Northamptonshire. Prior to that they were sponsored by Abbey Life - still have the rosettes in the attic
grin.gif

Bet I competed against your dad!

siennamum

Visit site
The open was huge. Open team chase size. proper Hunter Trailling (hunting gear) pytchley country (read memoirs of a foxhunting man) so open diches and fly hedges (getting all misty eyed &amp; nostalgic now)
If I get organised I'll rustle up some pictures, though it might be an embarrassing reminder that I USED to jump BIG jumps.....
frown.gif