Very impressed with my farrier....

TicTac

Visit site
My mare was recently diagnosed with arthritis in her coffin joint in one of her front feet. Her shoes were removed for the x rays 12 days ago and thanks to the wet weather the ground is lovely and soft. So ideal for a transition to barefoot.

I have used my farrier for over 10 years and he can be a bit of a grumpy old so and so but he is very good. He just doesn't suffer fools gladly. He is not anti ' The barefoot brigade' but does get annoyed with certain types and we shall say no more.

Today he came out with the intention of putting my mares front shoes back on, as recommended by the vets. We had a long discussion and he watched her walk up and down various surfaces and agreed that we would give her a chance to see if she would be more comfortable without her shoes back on. He said that she was coping well with the different surfaces and even suggested hoof boots if I want to do a bit more road work!

He didn't go made with his rasp or nippers and says she has a good hoof capsule and there is no reason why her feet shouldn't become as good as her hinds are ( no shoes on for 2 years behind) He will monitor her carefully and see how she grows her own feet.

There have been many discussions re farriers and barefoot trimmers, and this is not what this post is about. All I really want to say is that I am pleased to have an excellent farrier who is open minded and willing to work with me and my horse.

Last edited:

Bikerchickone

Visit site
It must be the day for good farriers today. I had a lovely chat with my farrier this afternoon whilst he was shoeing my youngster. What surprised me was that our chat was about my cob who is currently at Rockley and how he's doing. Considering how I thought it went when I made the decision to take my cob barefoot I was really pleasantly surprised by this. We even agreed on him keeping an eye on my lad once he's home in a few weeks. I'm over the moon as I really didn't want to have to get someone else in and my farrier's one of the good guys.

I came away this afternoon feeling really positive about the future with both my horses :):):)

Equinus

Visit site
I also have a great farrier, who wants the best whether it's shoeing or not. I was worried I might be pressed to shoe (years since I had a horse, things are changing) but he has worked magic on all four flared and seedy toed hooves and now my horse has lovely tootsies.

I intend to look after him and recommend him to others, he's very pleasant and reliable with it.