very moody mare!

pipsqueek

Visit site
I bought a 5yo 16hh ISH last nov, she had done virtually nothing before I got her. I didn't have any problems with her over the winter but for the past couple of months she has been very erratic in her behaviour. She is literally an angel one minute and a witch the next! I have taken her to busy shows and she is mrs chilled out then the next minute she is jig jogging and broncing in the school. I sent her to a friend who is a well known local eventer thinking maybe its me, but she has found her the same. She said she has never known a horse like her, she just doesn't give in and has schooled her for and hour + and she is still fighting (in her words if she was human she would be the sort of girl that would punch you in the face if you met her in a nightclub toilet!!) The final straw came today at Somerford where all she did was nap towards the two geldings I was on a schooling session with (bronc, leap etc) Nightmare! She normally doesn't nap toward other horses and I usually hack her out on her own. I don't want to give in, I can remember my two oldies that I bred being difficult in their youth (and they are mares but you can never tell when they're in season). I started her on NAF oestress as of today and will be getting the vet out next week for his opinion. In the meantime - anyone else had similar problems and what was your solution! Thanks

ps might add that she is a lovely nature most of the time!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a TBxWelsh D which exhibited erratic behaviour which got worse over time. The more you did with her, or the more pressure you put on her, the worse her behaviour became.
Eventually we found that her diet was the cause, she couldn't tolerate sugar or cereal.
My current ID mare has just been taken off glucosamine supplement as it was making her very anxious and hyper-reactive to a particular frequency of noise (diesel engines).

pipsqueek

Visit site
I had a TBxWelsh D which exhibited erratic behaviour which got worse over time. The more you did with her, or the more pressure you put on her, the worse her behaviour became.
Eventually we found that her diet was the cause, she couldn't tolerate sugar or cereal.
My current ID mare has just been taken off glucosamine supplement as it was making her very anxious and hyper-reactive to a particular frequency of noise (diesel engines).

Thank you for that! She has definately had more intense work since being on schooling livery for the past 2w, and gets worse with more pressure. She has only been out at grass but there was more of it than where I keep her so maybe that didn't help, and she was surrounded by geldings to flirt at!