Very proud mum!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ok pointless post and self indulgent but just wanted to share.

I had a lesson about 3 weeks ago where my instructor was teaching my how to prepare my horse to ask for a flying change.

As we haven't had much shows lately i haven't really schooled her so have only practiced about 3 times.

Last night while i was practising i thought i would be cheeky and actually ask her to change to see what she did.

She did it right first time!!!!!
laugh.gif

I asked her again after that on the other rein and she did it right again!!
laugh.gif

I was sooooo proud of her, she has only been backed since Feb and is picking things up so quickly. Sorry very proud mummy moment
grin.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
woohooo that's brill! (how exactly do you do it then.....my boy has been backed a year now and we're struggling with canter leads so you should be very proud!!!!!)

Kelly1982

Visit site
Well this is how my instructor taught me, obvioulsy other people will have different ways.

She taught me to canter down the diagonal of the school and halt from canter in the centre, once my horse has softened then walk on and ask for canter on the other lead. Then once she has that sussed instead of asking for a halt ask for trot for a few strides and then canter on the other lead again. Then onced she has that sussed (ha ha) all i should need to do is half halt in the centre and ask for canter on the other lead and she should know to change. The key is trying to get them to sit on their back end. Hope that makes sense
confused.gif

I have only been practicing it a few times and she has got it already
grin.gif
She is too clever for her own good though sometimes LOL.

Like i say not everyone will agree with this way but it has worked for me and my horse.

juliehannah58

Visit site
Well done Kelly, you should be proud!

Very interesting with the changes, I was always taught to use a pole but this way seems more gradual and easy to understand, thanks!!

I have just got the ride on a 4 yr old who has only been backed since May, so I will try this out next time I'm up there
smile.gif