Very sad....but can you help with a 'how much'?

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
I am a long-time lurker, but an infrequent poster.....but I would be really grateful for your opinions on the value of my adorable pony, Maverick.

I rescued him nearly 4 years ago (he was being neglected and came to me in a shocking state), I brought him back to fitness/health within about 3-4 months, re-started him and we were having great fun hacking out together.

But I soon realised that I couldn't cope with 2 horses (I already had one) so I was considering getting a loaner/sharer for Mav (as he was by far the easier ride of the two). In what was an amazing twist of fate, I bumped into an old friend and she was looking for a horse to ride, so she came to meet Mav, completely fell in love with him and decided to take him on loan.

We had a very unique 'loan' arrangement, in that she paid about 75% of Mav's total expenses, but she pretty much got him all to herself, and I pretty much considered Mav to be her pony. This arrangement has been going on for 3 years, and during that time, we have looked after both of my horses between us......a great arrangement, as we have both been able to take time off if and when we need to, both shared the workload, and we've always been guaranteed someone to hack out with!
wink.gif

Anyway, I had a shock on Friday night when the loaner suddenly told me (by text...grrr!) that she had to pull out of the loan arrangement, with immediate effect.....no notice or warning, and this was completely out of the blue!

I understand that she has personal reasons for making this decision, but it leaves me in a huge mess, both financially and practically.....we're on an expensive livery yard and I work full-time, so I have a problem finding time for 2 horses.

So I have been mulling over what to do with Maverick - sell or loan. I think I have decided that I need to sell - after all, a loan arrangement can easily fail, and I could find myself back in this same situation again and again. Also, he could return from loaner a screwed-up mess, and I'd have to straighten him out again......I don't really want to keep having to do that......
crazy.gif

About Mav - 10 years old, Welsh D (but unregistered), chestnut, 14.2hh, lovely conformation, very attractive pony - he's a real head-turner, beautiful long mane and tail to the floor! He has showjumped and hunted in the past (with previous owner), we've done fun rides and he hacks out alone or with company. He loves hacking, and is about as bomb-proof as you can get! I've shown him in-hand locally (M&M, best gelding, etc) and he wins every time - judges love him, but there's only so far you can go with an unregistered pony!

He has bags of personality and character (typical Welshie really!) - playful, inquisitive, sensitive, cheeky, comical, stubborn! He's not a novice ride, as he can take advantage of a nervous / green rider, and he can be strong. He needs a sensitive but kind and firm rider / handler.

About 6 months ago, I was 'offered' £5k for him (not sure they were that serious though!) - he's the kind of pony you fall in love with, to be honest, he's so adorable! I personally think that £5k is a bit steep for a pony that has pretty much done nothing!

Although I think he's worth that and more........this is a very very sad sale for me.....

So, what is your honest opinion on his value? I have no idea of what to advertise him for!

As I'm posting this from my work computer (naughty!), I've only got a couple of pictures of him available, and they don't really show his conformation, but I'm working on getting some more suitable ones for his 'for sale' poster/advert.

393146794vhsGNf_ph.jpg

462508730AMedrA_ph.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Value wouldn't be massive - and I suspect that finding the best home for him would be your priority.

Personally I have never had a problem having two horses and working full time, but financially it can be a strain.

You've had a very successful arrangement for the last three years, and there's no reason why you can't find another. However, have you spoken to your friend to find out what the issues are - you may be able to come to some kind of arrangement.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
He sounds lovely. I think that it is amazing how much people would pay for a safe, sound horse…we have just found a cob for the YO’s mother (who is nearly 70) to do all RC activities on (she is really keen to go XC on it!!!) The price for this very pretty, unregistered, 14.2 hairy cob called Treacle? £3500, and that is after some hefty negotiation. It’s a small price to pay for something so safe, honest and genuine with a proven record…. As your po sounds similar, why don’t you put him up for £4250 and then take offers for a good home? You could throw in some tack for that price.
By the way, we are in the south, where the price a horse seems to be much higher than the rest of the country….

siennamum

Visit site
I agree, it's dangerous to ask the best money you could get, safer to ask a reasonable price you would be happy with. £4,250 should get you sufficient people responding to enable you to chose someone you want to have him. Good luck.

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
Hi amymay.......I also think that his value wouldn't be massive, and a good home would be my absolute priority - he deserves nothing less.

I suppose, at a push, I could manage to look after both horses and still work full-time, but financially, it would cripple me.....I do like to ride, though, and before Mav was loaned, I really couldn't manage to ride both as often as I'd have liked to.

I think the arrangement with the loaner worked so well because we were such good long-standing friends.....her decision to back out of the arrangement is due to loads of personal issues she has going on at the moment - lack of time, lack of money, and also (the biggie, I think), she has always been a very, very nervous and negative-thinking rider. She just couldn't get over her nerves and lack of confidence, even though Mavvy is just about one of the most sensible, unflappable, most genuine rides you could get! I could never get my head round why she was so nervous, but it turns out that she never thought she was 'good enough' for Mav.

I'm not sure I could cope with the uncertainty of another loan arrangement........and I'm being a bit pessimistic in thinking that there can't possibly be another made-to-measure arrangement like i had before! But I would be willing to consider a loan, if the right person came along.........but I also have to think about whether i can afford to keep him for possibly months and months until I find that right person...!

Tracey x

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
I did think about £4k - I have never sold a horse, but I've been told that his size is a real selling point, though I don't know why? Maybe he's a good 'transition' size from ponies to horses?

He has some pretty expensive tack - he's currently ridden in a treeless Fhoenix, which cost £995 about 10 months ago. I'd want to sell him with this saddle, as he is really comfortable and happy with it, but I appreciate that it's a lot of money to add to his sale price!

We're in the Midlands, so I agree with you that prices up here are probably a bit lower.

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
I think that someone will fall in love with him, to be honest, he really is adorable......but I need to actually get people to meet him in the first place, so I don't want to advertise him for too high a price, and put people off!

I've already had some interest from one girl on my yard, but she's definately not the right person for him!

With a confident, sensitive rider, he could go really far.......he looks good and moves beautifully.....it's just finding that right person.

And, also, coming into winter isn't really the best time to be selling, I'm sure.....
frown.gif

some food for thought: you say that if he is loaned he could get screwed up again (unlikely as i assume you'd moniter him?) and then you'd have to keep straightening him out again - a pain i know, but if you sell him he could (a lot more easily, as out of your control) get screwed up again but if he's been sold what will happen to him then - he'll have no-one

I'm a softie anyway and tend to keep horses forever but this would especially be my reaction for a rescued pony because he knows better now than his old life and it would devastatingly unfair on him to go back to it. I know you can monitor buyers and i know there are people out there who would praise the land he walks on and never sell him, but if he goes to someone who does sell him you can't control where he ends up.

I know this is probably not helpfull at all but i really believe that some horses deserve for us to put ourselves out a bit in order to give them the life they deserve and from what you've said about your boys past it sure sounds like he has earned a gold plated future.

Also, i'm sure that you would be able to find other people on your yard (or possibly another?) to share horse duties with - there are always people that are looking for arrangements like you!

Value wise, prob £2.5 - 3k

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
I know what you mean Jem1! I do love this pony to bits, and I'd love to be able to keep him.....the money is the main issue here, but he also deserves to be someone's special friend and to be fussed over and cherished - with the two horses to care for, I feel like I'd be spreading my attention and affection a bit too thinly!

I have been also milling over the idea of loaning him, but to stay at the yard he is currently on so I could oversee the loan (it's a fab yard, brilliant facilities, and we have a waiting list as long as your arm, so I don't think I'd have trouble persuading potential loaners to keep him there!)

Tracey x

for me personally, i would loan him
And remember you don't have to have him at your yard to oversee (obviously it would be ideal but may limit potential loaners!!) - i have one out on loan and i go and visit roughly every fortnight and they tell me when they are taking her to comps or to the trainers so i can go and watch if i want - it works fab!!!!

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
Hi happyhack - he is completely adorable, and those pictures really don't do him justice - they were taken last winter in his 'woolly native pony' jacket!. In his summer clothes he's a proper stud-muffin!

This is all breaking my heart.......
frown.gif

It is the hardest decision I think I've ever had to make.

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
i agree loan him out i still have my first pony out on loan, okay one home i took him not because he was being mistreated by any means but i found him a new better home in a private home. the bhs have a loan agreement on their website just make sure you check up on him unannounced!! i have also the other way round had 2 horses on loan one owner only checked her horse twice a year she obviously trusted me as i said when i chose to send him back about it she just said she knew he was in a good home. trust your instincts on the home and get lots of references.

tabithakat64

Visit site
£2500 to £3500 to include tack etc would be reasonable, loaning all depends on whose doing it, so be sure you've found him a good long-term loan home and get a contract drawn up if you decide to loan him out

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Hi there!

Cor, tough decision.

OK, you've already said it's breaking your heart thinking about what you've got to do. You said you had an 'informal' loan agreement with your friend, so if you put him on loan again, you would organise a 'formal loan agreement' which would relieve you of any costs for him ( I know this cause I've got one on loan, while my one recovers from a tendon injury'). In standard loan agreements you have a 1 months notice period either side, but to cover yourself financially you could add in a 2 months notice period. ie if they wanted to give him back to you (for whatever reason) they have to give you 2 months notice - this would then give you time to decide what you wanted to do with him. However, if at any time you feel that he is being mistreated, you can take him back at the drop of a hat! No notice needed.

There are people crying out for pony's to loan as people simply haven't got the money to spend to buy one - and if he's adorable and solid as you say (sorry can't see photos) then you shouldn't have any problems finding him a loving home. Even if it wasn't on your yard you can always go and visit him and keep an eye on him. The woman that owns the horse that myself and my friend have on loan calls us every now and then, we let her know when we're going to shows/been to shows, she lives virtually opposite where we keep Tango and she's only ever been up a handful of times in 5 months - and thats cause she know's shes in good hands.

Instead of making yourself make such a final decision, put some adverts on the internet (newrider.com) is a good one, some adverts in tack shops, inc photos, all his good points. and indicate on there that he is loan with possible view to buy for the right owner only.

Does this help? i hope so. I had a similar decision to make a few years ago!!!

Mx

Cathey

Visit site
hmm not really sure on price, probably no more than £3500-3750 i wouldnt think esp as were coming into winter. Im in Worcs so not far away and i paid £3250 for 11yr 15.1hh mare in May who had done pretty much everything at unaffiliated and is really capable of doing anything you ask of her, with perfect manners too. She didnt come with tack tho so maybe a little more for your boy? Couldnt you try and find a sharer or part loan for him? That way he could stay at your yard, still get ridden and youd get financial contribution for him, it worked really well for me in the past.

welshpony

Visit site
Around 3500 - 4000, 14.2hhs are very sought after, a lot of people want them but I don't think you'll get much more for him at this time of year. He does sound absolutely lovely though!

mrsbloggett

Visit site
Have you got an active pony Club in your area - Bomb-proof ponies with alittle bit of attitiude are much sought after. I'm sure you would be able to find someone to loan him via the Pony club and possibly give him a bit of education/ fun in the process. You could possibly look at loan with view to buy?

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
Hi Martha....yes, a very tough decision! If I decide to loan, i'll get an iron-clad agreement written up, believe me! I'm still mulling it all over in my head at the moment, but you've definately given me more food for thought, thank you

Tracey x

Chunky_Monkey

Visit site
To mrsbloggett - I love that description...."bomproof pony with a little bit of attitude"...that sums Maverick up completely!

We do have a local pony club, and they actually regularly come to our yard (to use our fab mahoosive arena!)......but I'm not sure about him going to a child/teenager.

He does need firm but tactful handling and riding, but he's very sensitive, and (sorry to generalise here) most of the kids / teenagers I know are a bit too whip-happy, or just want to bomb around the countryside at a million miles an hour!

I know there are loads of exceptions to the rule, and if i could find the right person, he'd flourish as a PC pony, I'm sure!

But, obvioulsy, in my present desperate situation, I can't rule anything out and it's now a case of searching and hoping that 'special someone' comes along!

Tracey x

X

xspiralx

I think you need to consider the market you will be putting him at if you decide to sell. At around 4k, you would be more likely to get competitive teenagers wanting to do PC etc. All fine and dandy, except that after a year or 2, the pony will probably get sold on in favour of a horse - for a previously abused horse, is this really what you want?

If you do decide to sell him I'd advertise him for more like £3000 as a genuine allrounder and happy hack for an older rider.