Very scary weekend 😔

Equine_Dream

Visit site
So my poor girl is ill 😥
Myself and hubby went up the yard as normal yesterday morning. There were only 2 heads over stable doors where there should be 3. Went into my mare's stable and she was stood awkwardly at the back head down. Took her fleece off and saw she was drenched in sweat. Listen to her tummy... nothing. None of the usual gurgly happy gut sounds.
Immediately phoned vet while hubby walked gentle around the yard. She seemed very uncomfortable. Vet said keep walking her gently but if she wants to go down and lie quietly or refuses to walk let her be.
Vet arrived within half an hour and confirmed she couldn't hear any gut noises either. Sedated and internal examination done. No obvious blockage or twist and plenty of normal looking poo coming through.
Vet took her temperature and it was 40.3!! Heart rate was also worryingly high. Vet concluded infection somewhere in her gut, and gave antibiotics, steroids, and pain relief.
Once she had recovered from the sedation she appeared to perk up.
Her temperature has also come down to 37.4 by this morning.
She still seems very weak bless her. I've never seen her look so ill and poorly. Vet is running a test on mare's droppings and will take bloods if she doesn't continue to improve.
I've had 4 hours sleep in the last 24hrs and honestly feel like my nerves are shot to pieces. I really thought we were going to loose her yesterday.
Any positive vibes and hugs gladly received xx

Carrottom

Visit site
Mine had similar symptoms when she had peritonitis, the vet confirmed diagnosis with a belly tap. She was treated in horspital with IV antibiotics and made a full recovery. The other symptom was her poos went from normal to cowpats in a few hours.
Sending positive vibes.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Mine had similar symptoms when she had peritonitis, the vet confirmed diagnosis with a belly tap. She was treated in horspital with IV antibiotics and made a full recovery. The other symptom was her poos went from normal to cowpats in a few hours.
Sending positive vibes.

Vet has told us to be mindful of this. We discussed her being taken to horspital but she is a bad traveller so we are hoping to treat her at home with oral antibiotics and so far so good 🤞
We have no idea what has caused this. She was galloping around the field Saturday :(
Hopefully her poo sample will shed some light.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Colic symptoms are some of the most frightening a horse can present with, ime. I'm not surprised that you have hardly slept. You caught her early though and it sounds as if your vet is on the ball too. It is good that she has improved somewhat, fingers crossed that she continues to improve.

<<<<<<<Vibes>>>>>>>>>>

asmp

Visit site
It was about this time a couple of years ago that a pony in our yard went down with sycamore poisoning - he was standing in his stable, head low and sweating. Just a thought? He survived after a few days in the horsepital.

Hope it's nothing too serious.

Mosh

Visit site
My mare presented like this last year. No obvious cause aftee blood tests and samples. It was very scary and she was 23 so I wasn't going to risk a trip to horspital. With time she recovered and is doing amazingly well now. Sending you all the vibes. Xx

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Hi everyone thank you all for the replies. She seems to be responding well to the antibiotics and is eating and drinking well. Vet is happy with her progress and is letting her be grazed in hand a few times a day. Fingers crossed we're getting there slowly xx