Very slight chance of pregnancy, advice required.

oldie48

Visit site
Hi Rose came into season and I caught LF mounting her. He was castrated as a 4 year old and is only 11 hands, she's 16 hands but was a very willing partner. LF has shown coltish behaviour towards her and gets an erection even when she's not in season, particularly if she was turned out with him after them being separated for a while. TBH I don't think he's capable of ejecting fertile semen but I guess there's a very small chance. I took advice from my vet and Rose had a prostaglandin injection last Thursday. She was very grouchy on Saturday, not herself at all and vet said to look for signs of her coming into season on Monday or Tuesday. I've not had her very long and I think the recent season was the first of the spring, once removed from LF, you would not have known she was in season. Perhaps a little lazier? LF has gone home to his owner and I now have a mare as a companion which is going well. My vet says if I don't see signs of her having a season to take her back for a second prostaglandin injection on Friday. she isn't showing obvious signs of having a season but I think she's one of those mares who just don't. My gut feeling is to stop worrying and do nothing especially as I think the injection was a bit unpleasant for her. I'd really appreciate advice from those of you who have much more experience of mares than I do TIA.

conniegirl

Visit site
How long ago was he castrated?
Geldings are more than capable of acting colty and getting erections even 15 years after being gelded, however they do not have the ability to produce sperm.
However if he was only gelded in the last 6weeks then there is a vanishingly small chance of some sperm still being viable and stored not in the testes

oldie48

Visit site
5 years ago Vet's opinion is that even if a testicle or part of was retained, any semen would be infertile because of it being too warm but he was not willing to guarantee it, obviously, hence the 2nd injection!

conniegirl

Visit site
the vet is taking you for a mug!
he was gelded 5 years ago, there will be nothing left.
Many geldings are quite colty particularly late cut geldings. having testicles is not required for them to get an erection at all.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
the vet is taking you for a mug!
he was gelded 5 years ago, there will be nothing left.
Many geldings are quite colty particularly late cut geldings. having testicles is not required for them to get an erection at all.

I absolutely agree. And I certainly wouldn't be giving any more drugs.

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks I shall follow my gut feeling and stop worrying. Vet was not my usual one in the practice and I think I would have had more pragmati advice from my usual one. I havent had a mare for nearly 20 years and it's all a bit new to me but on the plus side Rose doesn't seem at all marish! (neither was my previous mare, I never knew when she was in season either)