Very un PC moan (awaits wrath of doting parents!)

molly7886

Visit site
I am one of the numerous people to miss out on Olympic tickets. I'm a huge eventing fan and spend many of my weekends helping at BE events etc etc so of course I was very disappointed not to have the opportunity to witness team GB going for Gold (go team GB!!)
So am I the only one who finds it irksome that there are people lucky enough to have been allocated tickets that are taking their very small (toddler) age children, who will neither understand or care whats going on?
Please note this is not a personal attack on those HHOers who are busy making their travel plans, it's just I feel there is a time and place for little children and in my humble opinion its not at major sporting events ;-)

I realise I'm a selfish old cow with no maternal instincts so I'll hide now from those I've offended ;-)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Does it mean young children are taking up the tickets of people who have a genuine desire to be there? Sorry, completely not interested in the Olympics myself but interested to find out why its different to any rugby, football, cricket etc match?

quirky

Visit site
I have children (9 and 5) and if I had applied for tickets, I certainly wouldn't be taking them.

I feel sorry for the poor devils dragged to competitions to 'watch' and they do anything but watch. Let's face it, it's deadly dull at times for even the most ardent fan, let alone a child with the attention span of a gnat.

So, I'm with you on this one :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I know what you mean, a girl at work is trying to get tickets for anything just so her daughter can say she has been to the olympics. Neither have interest in any of the sports.

Rosie Round The Hills

Visit site
Well, I'm taking my (will be then) 6 year old to the Show Jumping, and the Greco-Roman Wrestling. I know he'll love the SJ as he always loves watching this, and I think the G-RW will be a good spectacle for all of us.

I'm really looking forward to a couple of lovely family days out.

I presume that you also think that the following should not be allowed tickets:-

- adults who don't understand the sport they are watching
- old people who might get tired out from the long day out, and maybe go home early, thus leaving the seat unoccupied
- teenagers who might spend more of the day chatting to each other, than appreciating the sport they are watching
- anyone who isn't going to spend the day exactly as you think they should be spending it

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Why shouldn't the children go?

What gives you the right to say that a child of any age won't get some great enjoyment and thrill out of being there.

Can you imagine the outcry if there was a minimum age limit? And as JaR says, where does one stop?

I hope everyone who has a ticket has a brilliant time, whatever their age; and those that don't, me included, I hope we get to see what we want to see on television :D

Missadelaide

Visit site
I do agree with you. I am a nanny and I love kids, the kids I nanny for have ponies and are interested but would not be able to sit still for more than 20 mins at a sporting event and I think they would enjoy alot more televised where there are no lengthy breaks.

I too, would have loved tickets but there doesn't seem to be enough to go around.

LBertie Wooster

Visit site
Does it mean young children are taking up the tickets of people who have a genuine desire to be there? Sorry, completely not interested in the Olympics myself but interested to find out why its different to any rugby, football, cricket etc match?

Don't get me wrong, im not against little kids going but i do find to bloomin annoying mhen a little child starts squeeking their heads of in the middle of a rugby match right behind you! especially when the flyhalfs about to kick! Let alone how embarassing it is for the parents ;) :D Its deffo a great experience for them but they can only sit about for so along untill they get bored and start squeeking and crying.... :( this certainly does wind me up.

I think if parents want to take their children/ babys thats fine by me but I can deffinatly see where molly7886 is coming from!

Tillypup

www.valleypoint.co.uk
I'm taking my daughter who will be 5 1/2, I've told her she is very very lucky to have a ticket, she knows what she's going to see, she's looking forward to it, we went along to Houghton Horse Trials earlier in the year and loved watching the cross country and show jumping!

I was lucky enough to go to the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 when I was a child (not as young as my girl but a child nontheless) and the memories of that event are still with me almost 20 years later.

I am so so pleased that I now have the opportunity to share in some new memories like this with my own daughter and, hopefully in 20 years time she will fondly remember the day she went to the London Olympics.

PS, I was probably one of those hideously annoying children at a rugby match way back when!! ;)

Tamski

Visit site
(Ducks down ready to have things thrown at her!)

Sorry but I'm one of those "awful mothers" who'll be dragging her children who will be three and 18 months to watch the xc phase of the eventing!

I would never expect them to sit down and appreciate being at the olympics but a day out watching horses and having a picnic whilst their mum and dad thoroughly enjoy themselves and give them stories that they can appreciate when they're a bit older is great. We're not blessed with having grandparents nearby so it's a case of wherever we go, they go and quite frankly "Why not"!

Sorry to go on but this is one tired mummy who's now had two glasses of wine- hurray!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
(Ducks down ready to have things thrown at her!)

Sorry but I'm one of those "awful mothers" who'll be dragging her children who will be three and 18 months to watch the xc phase of the eventing!

I would never expect them to sit down and appreciate being at the olympics but a day out watching horses and having a picnic whilst their mum and dad thoroughly enjoy themselves and give them stories that they can appreciate when they're a bit older is great. We're not blessed with having grandparents nearby so it's a case of wherever we go, they go and quite frankly "Why not"!

Sorry to go on but this is one tired mummy who's now had two glasses of wine- hurray!

Nice to hear some sense being spoken!

Firewell

Visit site
I can remember being taken round Badminton when I was a child, walking round the XC is a long way when you are 5yrs and 7yrs (myself and my sister) but we loved it. We were used to being left to our own devices to play at the yard for hours while my mum rode so we were sort of used to that sort of thing.
What will probably be more irksome to you is that my very non-horsie OH is being dragged along to the horsie events! We have been very lucky to get XC tickets, SJ tickets for the eventing and 2 days of pure dressage as well. My poor OH is going to die of boredom!! He's dragging me to track and field though bleuggghh.

At the end of the day though it's the Olympics I'm so excited, can't wait!! :D

Princecharming

Visit site
I took my kids to Badminton. The youngest was four and he jumped up and shouted "there's Mary King!!!!" when she came into the start box. Noone found him annoying im sure, they all smiled at him, and then he sat quiet, he just couldnt control himself for a minute lol. I couldnt blame him though cos i had the same urge when i saw WFP. He loved every minute of it. I agree that I wouldn't take a toddler, but then a toddler can surely sit on knees??

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I agree with the OP, the idea of children under five, some in pushchairs, at events like this drive me crackers! The parents always seem to think that others should give way, find the childs sticky hands over their clothes amusing, also enjoy the childs crying, shouting, running around taking no notice of the sport their are supposed to be watching etc.
I do think there should be a lower age limit, maybe 10 years old, thus ensuring that they are old enough to appreciate what they are watching.

Tnavas

Visit site
I too agree that the younger children should not be allowed at these events - not only because they can be a pain to others at times but because when you are only short you get bashed around by handbags, elbows and being small can't always get to see what is going on.

I did take my neigbours 6yr old daughter to the ballet with my mum when she visited. My mother thought I was mad as how would such a young child sit still for such a long time. The little girl was spellbound and sat on the edge of her seat for the whole show and then declared that the music was lovely and made her want to cry!

I had planned to come over for the games as mum lives just outside London but sadly having no job I can't afford to go.

Just been to this site and they appear to have tickets for sale

http://www.2012tickets.org/index.html

Last edited:

MilosDad

Visit site
If there was a correlation between the allocation of tickets to people with toddlers and the non allocation of tickets to you I would understand your grumble. However, in the absence of such evidence, isnt it better to think how lucky those people are to get their tickets and hope they enjoy the spectacle whatever age they may be?
Personally the views are better on TV and Badminton and Gatcombe are far more exciting events

molly7886

Visit site
I apologise to anyone who I've upset by expressing my opinion, & thank those that agree with me for letting me know that I'm not the only one! (Although I never accused anyone of being an 'awful mother' etc) Clearly I'm out of touch with the resilience and stamina of 4/5 year olds, as well as non-horsy OH's ;-)
I truly hope that everyone thats goes has a fabulous time and I will join with you all in spirit as I sing (or in my case probably blub) along to the National Anthem when GB win gold!!

Merry Crisis

Visit site
I agree with the OP, the idea of children under five, some in pushchairs, at events like this drive me crackers! The parents always seem to think that others should give way, find the childs sticky hands over their clothes amusing, also enjoy the childs crying, shouting, running around taking no notice of the sport their are supposed to be watching etc.
I do think there should be a lower age limit, maybe 10 years old, thus ensuring that they are old enough to appreciate what they are watching.

^^^^^ This, I agree completely.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
while i didn't get any tickets, if i had, we'd have been taking ours to the XC, they are 2 & 4 & having been coming to events, both to watch me & then to big events like burghley, since they were tiny.... & TBQH, they love it, they both know the detailed ins & outs of eventing, & love telling us they can do that on their ponies....:) :eek: days out to big events are great for children... yes i wouldn't take them to sit through hours of dressage (although the eldest likes watching freestyle to music on youtube!!??!!)

TheoryX1

Visit site
OP - I have to be honest and do understand your feelings! However, we wont be going, but I will be taking time off work to watch the eventing, showjumping and dressage with a group of friends, copious quantities of wine and food and no kids!!!!!! Granted my daughter is 16 and is horsey herself and will probably want to join mum and her horsey, alcohol swilling mates (um, what is it with horsey people and alcohol? Especially gin).

However, on the other hand, if the children are well behaved, then why shouldnt they go to watch. Having been to Olympia and HOYS many times, I have noticed lots of younger children, and to be honest, none of them have really been pains in the arse - particularly at Olympia with Father Xmas etc, the ones I noticed were totally enchanted by it all.

Each to their own I say, and if they are being little pains, then its down to the parents to disclipline them, or make sure that the really tiny ones are kept happy so that they dont annoy others.