Vet advice for a push over Back/ KS/ Sacroiliac/ hind legs

Horsekaren

Visit site
My lovely boy is off to the vets this week, Chiro (who is an equine vet) came back and wasn't happy with his back, suspected KS or Sacroiliac (not sure if i have spelt that correctly) :'( I have been advised that i need to go through my actual vets, bone scan and xrays were mentioned as was NewMarket and Liphook.

He has gone through Diagnostics before for Asthma and i felt like i was really taken for a ride before referring him.

Has anyone had similar issues, what should i expect from a first vet consultation regarding this issue? I am taking him to the practice this week.

This MUST go on insurance (max £5k) i cant afford for any of this to be flitted away.
What would you expect to happen with this process.
should i have him xrayed at my local vets or would this likely be a waist of time as if he needs to be refereed they would do it again (this happened last time)
Would you expect a full work up to be done?
Should i just request for him to be refereed right away?

I havnt had much dealing with vets, the only experience i have to go on was the Asthma issue, which involved a scope, two ultra sounds before being refereed to liphook to discover he has ROA. I dont want to be given the run around but obviously i haven't a clue what is going on or what you would expect to be done.

Just looking for a little guidance on what is the done thing with these types of things.

ihatework

Visit site
Okay, well you are talking about the types of things a lot of us have been seeing subtle signs of for quite a while.

Given your vets haven’t really taken it seriously I’d be inclined to get a referral immediately, IME most referral vets will duplicate work ups to a certain extent anyway.

You are Essex right? I’d go to Newmarket for your referral then.

What to expect - a potentially big bill, the possibility of unclear answers and a bit of a headache! What they do and in what order will generally depend on how he presents on the day.

ETA don’t panic too much though. Most things can be managed if they find something

Auslander

Visit site
You don't need to get your vet to do the initial stuff. All you need is for them to refer him. I had a mare here who was presenting with on/off lameness and behavioural issues. My vet suggested that she referred her straight to Newmarket, to save time and money. She went there a few days before Christmas, had all the diagnostics done, they found KS, and operated the next day - and she was home before New Year.

emfen1305

Visit site
Agree with above - go straight for the referral if your vets don't have the facilities, you will just duplicate your work ups and waste time and money - I have been there twice!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Completely agree with the others, I would get your vets to refer you straight to Newmarket rather than waste money on an initial work up with your vet.

SEL

Visit site
I have wasted a huge amount of money with a vet practice faffing around so would echo everyone else and say go for a referral straight away. Tell them you only have a small budget and you don't want to repeat work.

Horsekaren

Visit site
So they obviously need to see him before he can be refereed. I guess i take him there, they will confirm he has a sore back and then i ask for the referral right away? Is it as simple as that? I thought referrals only came into play when your vet couldn't get to the bottom of the issue, i feel like i dont really want them to try :/

emfen1305

Visit site
No they don't need to see him. Sorry if I have missed this in earlier posts but do you not have any vets that have a hospital attached to them near you?

bluehorse

Visit site
Provided your own vets have not yet started investigating these specific issues you don’t need a referral from your existing vets at all. As long as the referral hospital also offer first opinion (most do) you can just register with the referral hospital as a new client and go there direct. You can be registered with more than one vet and use different vets for different things. I do, it’s not a problem with insurance providing you don’t switch vets mid-treatment without a referral and without informing the insurance company.

Horsekaren

Visit site
No they don't need to see him. Sorry if I have missed this in earlier posts but do you not have any vets that have a hospital attached to them near you?
I think they work with Newmarket, RvC and Bell. I think (not 100% sure) they have a bone scan at the practice.
Would that perhaps be worth while if they can do it locally.

ozpoz

Visit site
Get him referred first. The vet hospital he will be referred to will want their own diagnostic images.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need to go straight for referral and be clear that there’s only 5k in the pot if the lameness is multicausal diagnostics can run through that very quickly .

eggs

Visit site
I've had a few go to Newmarket and they also do their own x-rays and diagnostics so it is not worth having your vet do their own as this will just add to the cost. Get a referral from them straight to Newmarket.

flying_high

Visit site
Another point, is make sure you stay with him, and monitor what the vet hospital do and stay involved, don't just drop him off and let them rack up a bill!