Vet after foaling

Skyebald

Visit site
Sorry if this is a numpty question but I have aquired a BOGOF so trying to get my head around everything ....

Assuming the foaling goes well with no issues should a vet be called to check foal/mare after birth. If so how soon and what will they do ?

BallyshanHorses

www.ballyshanhorses.webs.com
It is probably best to get vet about 12 hours after foaling assuming all goes well.They should be able to blood foal to check its IGg level and some vets give a shot of anti tet/antibiotics but that is dependant on your vet.We usually,if at all possible get the mare washed out and give intra uterine anti-biotics if needed two days after foaling but again this is dependant on vet and owner.

Skyebald

Visit site
Thank you,

when I got the vet out to confirm she was in foal he didn't really mention it, He's very laid back type and you need to ask specific questions to get an answer ;) and I forgot to ask, was still dealing with the surprise of it all :D:D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I always have vet out the same day as foaling as BS says to give them both the once over and the foal to have an anti-tet as a matter of course. It helps if your mare has her booster about a month before foaling too particularly if your area is prone to tetanus (we're an old dairy farm and it can lay dormant in the soil for years) Vet should also check that the after birth is complete; it helps if this is kept moist, I always use an old bucket with some water in; once seen it can be buried on the muck heap although we throw ours out for the foxes! If there are any tears in it he needs to check the mare very carefully as retained placenta can be fatal, at the least make your mare very poorly.

There's a very good book by Janet Loch, Foal to full grown which is very useful to have.
Good luck, when abouts is she due and do you know the sire?

Skyebald

Visit site
I was worried about checking the after birth so I'm glad the vet will make sure it's complete .

I've been reading as much as I can on the internet just wanted to make sure the vet does everything they should so I can stop worrying.I had the vet out about two weeks ago and he didn't suggest Tet boster for her . I also asked about worming, she was done about 6 weeks ago and he said to just stick with her normal routine

I have no idea of the Sire and no way of finding out, she was bought from a sale back last June:rolleyes: She's wpb by Sec D , mum was a native type coloured. Somehow she's only managed 13.2 despite her Dam being 15h and Sire being 14.2 . Who knows what I'll end up with, just hope it's healthy

She has started to bag up but no other signs, have kept her seperated now from my other two mares and she has a field shelter with straw bed as I don't have stables and decided it was less stress for her to stay where she is. The field is only up the road from me so night checks are fairly easy...

I think I actually have a book somewhere called foal to five years, not sure it covers foaling.....wanders off to check :)

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
You may find some of our picture diaries useful. Over previous years, we have photo'd our mares approaching foaling, and recorded it online, so that others can compare bags/shapes of mares, etc, and get an idea of what to expect.

All but one of the mares are shetlands (the one is a Welsh D), but the basic biology is the same. I'm about to expand this bit - so feel free to let me know if anything in particular would be helpful to you.

Picture diaries here: http://www.varkiesstud.co.uk/html/foals.html

As far as a vet goes, I would always advise someone who doesn't know anything/much about foaling to give the vet a call as soon as the mare goes into labour, and get vet on the way. First off, because if anything does go wrong, you have a relatively short window of opportunity to get it right without loss of mare or foal - so better vet is on the way, especially if he's not close. Secondly, because assuming foal is born by the time the vet arrives, vet can check mare & foal for you, check afterbirth (or assist in it's coming out), and assist you with post-birthing, i.e. foal suckling, standing, first poo etc - if there are any problems.

Skyebald

Visit site
Thanks Varkie, will definately have a browse :)

Luckily my vet is only 2 miles away, unless they're all out on call of course:rolleyes:

I did happen to be present when a friends mare foaled but that was about 20 years ago, don't remember anyone worrying about her or doing night checks just left her to it in a paddock on her own. I was the only one around at the time when her foal decided to make an appearance at 7am on a Sunday morning:eek: and before the days of mobile phones :D

Hopefully my lambing course and odd bit of lambing will come in useful ;):D

Or i'll miss the event completely :mad:

HBM1

Visit site
I did happen to be present when a friends mare foaled but that was about 20 years ago, don't remember anyone worrying about her or doing night checks just left her to it in a paddock on her own.

I would be just terrified to leave my mare to it. Fine when it goes right, but what a waste if they die in the process due to no help available. I couldn't live with myself. For info, when I wormed my mare 6 weeks ago my vet gave me Embotape wormer for her rather than the Equest the others had as she said it was better for in foal mares. Has your mare had herpes vax? Even if she starts having them late it is best to have at least one rather than none - depending how close she is of course.

Skyebald

Visit site
Don't worry I fully intend to keep a very close eye on her . I had already wormed her before realising she was in foal .

I will speak to my vet about vacs and see what he advises although again he didn't mention them on his visit :confused:

Toast

Visit site
I had the vet to my mare the morning after she foaled. It was the first mare id foaled on my own so i wanted to be absolutely sure id checked the placenta properly and that my mare was okay. So just to be on the safe side i'd have the vet out as soon as your mares foaled :)