Vet is baffled....

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
I took my horse on a hack, he was fine throughout, when he went back to field i let him loose and he trotted off - lame. No heat/swlling anything, just lame. Doesnt react to sole pressure and no worse with flexion. Anyone know of any expert lameness vets in or around lancs?

cptrayes

Visit site
If you are in the South of Lancs there are three big equine hospitals in easy reach of the M6

Any good?

ps on-off lameness like that can be caused by a bone/cartilage chip inside a joint getting in the way and then moving aside again. Often easily fixed by taking it out.

millimoo

Visit site
Don't know anyone in Lancashire. However Peter Schofield at Halifax (Hird & Partners) would be a recommendation if it doesnt resolve itself. You would have to go to him, but he's brilliant. Some horse vets send their own clients on to him. I do know people from Lancashire use him too

Izzwizz

Visit site
Don't know anyone in Lancashire. However Peter Schofield at Halifax (Hird & Partners) would be a recommendation if it doesnt resolve itself. You would have to go to him, but he's brilliant. Some horse vets send their own clients on to him. I do know people from Lancashire use him too

Peter is a STAR, he treated my mare and was spot on with her diagnosis and treatment. Couldnt recommend a better Vet.

Navalgem

Thanks everyone.

It's not on-off its been the same since it started though may now be getting worse, he seemed a touch lame in walk tonight. Just fed up and want it sorting so happy to travel to find a lameness expert. Obviously x-rays and or sonography are going to be needed with there being no heat or swelling, it's not something my vet can do.

cptrayes

Visit site
It was a very sudden "on" though, wasn't it, with him in view of you the whole time between sound and unsound, so you know nothing happened to him? That is the same sort of thing as happened to my mare, but her lameness did disappear and reappear.

Tiffany

Visit site
Claire Phillips at Wright & Morten is supposed to be really good if you could get your horse to Somerford Park in Congleton, Cheshire.

If I don't get some answers soon I'll be giving her a try myself.

www.wmvets.co.uk

millimoo

Visit site
Yes Peter is brilliant - he's usually spot on at initial lunge assessment. We had a horse that required MRI. Ongoing low grade lameness ... The worst kind in my opinion, at least with sudden onset there's usually an obvious cause. What I like about Peter is he explains everything and will go through the imagery. He will also be honest about prognosis and treatments. Sadly ours showed a historical injury in the hoof, with and option of potting the foot to stabilise the hoof. However he foot had ready started to contract so he didn't think it would be a suitable treatment in this instance. Whilst the MRI was not cheap it saved 6 months of shoes off / field rest and seein if he'd come right. Bottom line he would never be sound for Dressage.
To OP, having seen what my mum went through. You can spend weeks and months trying to figure things out, but from my experience go to the experts and in my opininion get a
Decent diagnosis sooner rather than later.
I'm sure your horse has just had a tweak and will be fine.

Navalgem

cptrayes - yes it was incredibly sudden on, my initial thought was that perhaps he'd jarred it or twisted something on the hack that only showed once he'd cooled down, but there's just no seeming cause, it's driving me mad and he's been lame since a week last monday now. I'll take your advice millimoo and make sure I get him to the right place sooner rather than later. I'll have a look at those suggested, somerford park isn't too far to go, and someone suggested ashbrook clinic in cheshire too.

cptrayes

Visit site
Somerford, Ashbrook and Nantwich are all close to the M6 and all have hospitals and all have people who love them and hate them! I like Claire at Somerford too, and if you have another horse you can always pop round the farm ride to cheer you up while you are there :)