Vet is coming up again...

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace has been on 7 days of antibiotics now... and her mud rash does not seem to be getting any better! In fact it has gone a green colour now!

I am really worried!

Has anyone else had mud rash this bad and how long did it take to heal?

Rebecca x

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks P_G... I just felt like crying this morning when I saw how bad it had gone over night! She hasn't even been out since Saturday and she is starting to reveal that she does have quite an attitude on her.

Walked her out in hand this morning and she was bucking and squeeling all the way!

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I was told that it can be different kinds of bacteria and if treating it the usual way for mudrash does'nt work, it needs to be swabbed so they can give it the correct treatment. Lets hope your vet can sort it, poor Grace.

Is she lame on it?

Madam May is feeling much better now, used the Sudocream on Wed eve, antibiotic cream last night and this morn, and it is tonnes better now, no heat or swelling and after breaking free when she was supposed to be going into the field this morning - a lovely NOT lame trot around the car park!!!

Let us know what the Vet says x

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace wasn't nasty, she just got hyper... even though she was being hard work I couldn't stop laughing at her little squeels. They were almost like when a horse squeels at another. But she seemed to settle once we got back to the stables... I just think she is getting p!ssed off with being in!

Plus I didn't ride last night, so she obviously needs the exercise now she is getting fitter

Parkranger

Visit site
oh babe what a nightmare - is it mudfever? You've obviously tried all the old methods! Have you tried carbolic soap? My mum swears by it for her heavy cobs.....

_jetset_

Visit site
P_G - no, I am still waiting to hear from the lady with the exact dates... hopefully should be able to get on the next one in the New Year!

Vicstress... yes, it's mud fever and it's driving me up the wall. It goes a little ten comes back with avengence!

Parkranger

Visit site
Have you tried carbolic soap? It's the only thing that worked with my mums old cob and she used it on her new boy.......a very old and trusted method apparently!

6103claire

Visit site
We used a mixture if veg fat and sulphur on our cob which had really bad mud fever through summer and winter. we plastered it on clean legs, left it for a few days, then washed o0ff with warm water at night, left to dry overnight then reapplied in the morning. It was a bit messy but at least we could manage it this way

_jetset_

Visit site
He came up and has put Grace on steriod tablets, steroid antibacterial cream and additional antibiotics... she is allowed to be ridden but not allowed in the field obviously until it is all cleared up!

S_N

Visit site
Did the vet take any swabs of it?

Had a broodmare like this at CS - she had it on ALL 4 legs
ooo.gif
Vet took swabs and discovered it was a stephlacocus bug - or was it stretacocus, no, that's throats right? Anyway, I had to scrub her legs daily, for a week, with Malaseb wash/shampoo (you should get that at your tack shop if you don't have any), dry thoroughly, then apply a cream that contained aqueous cream (used for skin probs in humans) and then bandage. We couldn't use any steroidal products on her, as she was in-foal and lactating.

I do hope this clears up soon for your sake as well as Grace's. Will you use turnout chaps once this has gone?

_jetset_

Visit site
I hope it clears up too... Grace is being so patient with me, and it must be killing her when I do anything with it.

I have been washing it with ActivWash (it kills just the bad bacteria rather than the good and the bad like Hibiscrub does), drying them and using Sudocrem. But it has not gotten any better.

I also have to be careful what goes on her legs as she had a funny reaction to baby oil which started it all in the first place... I put it on her legs like I do with Hannah and she has a reaction to that I think.

I have got some turnout boots that I bought Hannah when she used to get it, so I fully intend on using these on Grace now she is so used to having her legs messed with and Thermatex boots put on! Just hope these keep the mud off completely and solve the problem, but I am also going to put some of the Keratex Mud Shield on her legs under the boots just to make sure and in case any mud gets under them.

I'll know for next year now though!

_jetset_

Visit site
Sorry, forgot to say he did not take swabs. It has improved a little as the worst bit is now pink and healthy, but it is some other areas that are the problem.

S_N

Visit site
Can I ask why you put baby oil in their legs? I've never heard of that outside of the show ring. Keratex Mudshield is AWESOME stuff!!! I used that on Toppers whites legs - all 4 - and he NEVER got a bit of mudfever! His legs were fully clipped out and I'd often have to hose him, his rugs and legs, when I brought him in - he was SUCH A HIPPO!!! He's the only horse I've ever used it on, but my friend also used it (she got me using it tbh) on her coloured cob and she never had a problem either!

When I got Tops he had an area on one back heel that was like mudfever, but I reckon it was actually sunburn (was a VERY hot June) and I made up a paste of Demobian, protocon, sudocream, factor 50 sunblock and petifer's cetream (I still have some all mixed up in a tub) and it cleared it in under a week!! Have used this mix on several other cuts, nicks etc and have been very impressed with the effectiveness of it - has also made my demobian last longer. I'm not saying that you should do this and I have no idea what prompted me to mix them all together, but it works for me.

_jetset_

Visit site
I started using baby oil when I bought some stuff from a tack shop and it was just like baby oil... I used it for the first time on Hannah last year (she had fully clipped legs) and she didn't get any mud fever at all whereas the year before she got it quite badly and was lame.

Hannah got worse when I left the mud on her legs, so I used the baby oil all over the leg from the knee down, washed them with Carex when she came in and then put Thermatex leg warmers on her. Done the same this year with her (although she is not clipped out
smile.gif
) and again she has not had anything and out fields are obviously full of it because all the others have got it!

The baby oil makes the mud just slide off the legs... it's fab (and cheap too when there is a 3 for 2 offer on at Sainsburys)

S_N

Visit site
HA - well you learn something everyday! Never thought of doing that! Mind you B&H are out 24/7, so no cause for that atm. Next winter B will become the Primma Donna she was born to be
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
I very much doubt it. She will become a riding ponio instead
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
She's only 9, so there is plenty of time for more babies later on, esp. now that she has had one and a good one too - am I allowed to say that?
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
He he - thankies!

Yeah she has, but not for 2 yrs *gulps* at the thought of riding her! She's rather urrmmm athletic, I hope I stay on
ooo.gif
crazy.gif
ooo.gif
crazy.gif