Vet says no foal… I think he’s wrong!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
We may have another BOGOF on our yard. (Wish some of that would run off on Amber!)
She was bought by a first time owner 2 months ago. A month ago we said she looked suspiciously fat. Owner got vet who ruled that out by putting his hand up. But I would swear this mare is in foal. Thoughts?

Owner is getting vet back out but not for a few days.

224185428_4235728343173881_7312916794872830416_n.jpg

224872362_4235728253173890_2910361996772594812_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Vet did just external visual?
Looking at her teats I'd say either in foal or grass flush in last 2 days.

Remember my esteemed vet said def not 10 days before I got an unexpected item in the bagging area. I was convinced she was, especially 24 hrs before...... made arrangements to camp at yard but mare beat me to it that morning! Offspring was 3 yesterday!

MissTyc

Visit site
We had a BOGOF recently. Arrived February, by end March looked pregnant. Blood test negative ... OK, just weird fat shape lol; also was sold as 5yo warmblood when was actually 2yo trotter, but at the current price of horses and gullibility of buyers I think they were lucky to just get a "nice enough" and "mostly sound" horse on their budget. Gave birth first week of June! Absolutely spectacular filly, as in serious quality little horse considering it's probably another trotter. No idea why blood test was negative, vet said that can happen sometimes ... Because the mare was so young, she really didn't show much other than our "she LOOKS in foal" suspicions. Never got an udder, etc. Thankfully easy birth, filly standing next to her at 5am lol.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Can anyone get far enough above her to take a photo from on top? We realised we had a bogof when she was looked down on from a much taller horse.

ihatework

Visit site
Certainly looks suspicious.
Was it a stud vet who did the manual? If so at around 9 months ish they should have felt a foal if there is one in there. But I suppose mistakes can happen! Wise to get another check

SEL

Visit site
My definitely not pregnant but too fat mare ended up with a swollen udder after getting on grass - I think it was an EMS type response.

But I do think that looks like a baby belly!!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Vet is coming tomorrow so we will see. She looks slimmer all over - but is expanding rapidly in the belly area! So I can’t really see another explanation for that. Owner is tearing his hair out. He’s the sweetest guy but has no experience of horse ownership. Has just bought his first ever horse and it’s not been easy as she was pretty green. So having a foal was not in the plan. At all. He was told today that there was an Arab stallion that ‘might’ have got in with her last year. She’s a Welsh C.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Vet is coming tomorrow so we will see. She looks slimmer all over - but is expanding rapidly in the belly area! So I can’t really see another explanation for that. Owner is tearing his hair out. He’s the sweetest guy but has no experience of horse ownership. Has just bought his first ever horse and it’s not been easy as she was pretty green. So having a foal was not in the plan. At all. He was told today that there was an Arab stallion that ‘might’ have got in with her last year. She’s a Welsh C.

If it's any consolation, at least that is potentially a nice cross and should be fairly easy to move on. Not great for the poor first time owner though. Fingers crossed for him it's just a grass belly.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Isn't that your perfect cross......! :p

:D:D:D Nah, don't like Arabs and definitely don't want another Welshie..... I blame @ester

Yes hands up, Welsh Xs all the way from now on, and the odd sprinkling of Arab, that's fine too. The breeds have a lot of crossover anyway going back. ;) xx