Vet visits allowed in lockdown??

canteron

Visit site
My horse on box rest won’t survive for the next month without a weekly vet visit. If we go into lockdown can the vet still visit. Essential to me but maybe not in the bigger picture? I know - I will ask the vet tomorrow but a bit scared ?

cbmcts

Visit site
In worse case scenario, could you do the examinations by skype/facetime and pick up any meds from outside the surgery sand administer them yourself if needed?

My local small animal vets are still seeing people but anyone in the vulnerable group are seen outside in the car park. Rather than the owner handling their animal it is handed over to the vet while the owner stays well back... They have plans to do remote consults and if need be, deliver meds to doorsteps.

sherry90

Visit site
My horse on box rest won’t survive for the next month without a weekly vet visit. If we go into lockdown can the vet still visit. Essential to me but maybe not in the bigger picture? I know - I will ask the vet tomorrow but a bit scared ?

most vets I have seen have said they will continue with good hygiene and asked that if people have symptoms to not come and get someone else to hold the horse who is well. Keeping distances etc.

some have said where possible they will be able to do video examinations.

J&S

Visit site
My step daughter (small animal vet) is drawing up contingency plans for her surgery, and she said to me that the vets who go out on calls are "working from home" rather than going to the main surgery so they have as little contact with people as possible. I have a mare who is prone to bouts of colic so we were working out how best to plan for such an occasion.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine had jabs a couple of days ago and the vet said they will carry on with visits.

Same with farrier although he has asked for stringent hygiene conditions to be in place before he arrives.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I amwaiting for the vet this morning as pony came in lame this morning. We are self isolating due to OH and I being in vulnerable group so am stressing about that as well as pony. I have explained our situation to receptionist and am hoping everything needed will be able to be down outside stable and I'll keep my distance as much as possible. Don't see what else I can do but am concerned.

SEL

Visit site
Our local vets have said yes, but we need to let them know if we feel ill / have any symptoms. If so, they want someone else there to handle the horse.

J&S

Visit site
My step daughter thinks that vets and vet nurses may even be asked to work in the NHS if necessary. They know how to use the ventilators etc. This is not a fact.... merely a supposition so please accept it as such.

racebuddy

Visit site
i work in small animal practice and we have been open as normal just keeping exra precautions and have plans in place but obviosily we have to provdide the care as patients will not stop getting ill , but at the same time equally scary times for everyone , equine vets are still working but have split into on the road ect , but even worse case we have lockdown we still have to see things in a emergency but so scary

Muddywellies

Visit site
Don't stress about rumour and here say. Facebook is a worse enemy than CV at the moment, for stirring up panic.
They are doing there best to avoid a lock down - obviously travel may be restricted as far as possible, with many public places being out of bounds to restrict people contact, but that's a world away from house arrest.
I'm finding the media are banding this dreaded 'lockdown' word around in all its headlines to get hits. Just keep to the BBC news for the true facts and if restrictions are put in place, we will still be able to get supplies and our animals will be taken care of by us and other caregivers incl vets.
I think Boris needs to seriously manage the state of panic this country is in as I'm running out of loo roll.....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had a text today from my vet saying that they are attending to animals as normal. There was a link to follow to see extra hygiene precautions but I didn't bother to follow it, it is pretty obvious what they will be doing,

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Don't stress about rumour and here say. Facebook is a worse enemy than CV at the moment, for stirring up panic.
They are doing there best to avoid a lock down - obviously travel may be restricted as far as possible, with many public places being out of bounds to restrict people contact, but that's a world away from house arrest.
I'm finding the media are banding this dreaded 'lockdown' word around in all its headlines to get hits. Just keep to the BBC news for the true facts and if restrictions are put in place, we will still be able to get supplies and our animals will be taken care of by us and other caregivers incl vets.
I think Boris needs to seriously manage the state of panic this country is in as I'm running out of loo roll.....

The BBC use the word 'Lockdown' frequently, too. And as for the doom laden voices - don't get me started!