Veteran Classes

_jetset_

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of these and if so could you give me some advice about them?

I am thinking of taking my 19 year old ISH mare to some. She has competed dressage all of her life, we have never ventured into the showing world, but after being away for a weekend with showing bods I quite fancy giving it a go!

cupcakelaura

Visit site
I did quite a lot of Veteran Classes on my Thoroughbred X welsh cob, He was 19 when i got him and I competed on him until he was 23. There just like any other showing class, if there's a jump in the ring they often say you can jump the jump if you want to, and in my opinion I think jumping a jump helps, I was awarded 2nd place to a 31 year old pony that was still competing in pony club all because of how my 19 year old loved to jump and had such a scopey jump, they might even ask you what you do with him /her, not always though, sometimes they just ask the age, but it depends on the judge i've had asking there age, what i do with him, and if he has had any illness or if he's perfectly healthy. Give it ago you might enjoy it :)

TelH

Visit site
Yes spurs are banned, as is galloping. Can't say Ive ever heard of jumping in a veterans class before though??? Turnout the horse according to type, ie is she a hunter, riding horse etc. Classes should be judged on manners, movement, way of going, presentation, type, condition and suppleness related to age.

mrogers

Visit site
I have never seen a veteran class where they have asked you to jump. TelH has it spot on, you should also display your horses age on a bridle disk at affliated level. Not compulsory unaffiliated but it will go down well as you are showing that you know what your doing

cupcakelaura

Visit site
This was a local show nothing fancy, it was in the same ring as a working hunter class was and there was a jump left in, and the judge just said if we wanted to we could jump, and when i got placed she came up to me and said the jump clinched it for me :)

hnmisty

Visit site
I did a few local shows with my old girl (35). Walk, trot and group canter, then little individual show. They'll ask you what you do with them etc.

Then be prepared to see the 15y/o pony place higher than you because they forget they're judging a veteran class :p

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I too am thinking of venturing into Veteran classes ahving never really done showing.. but i find myself with a very well looking 17 year old and people keep telling me to give it a go. I'm not really sue what dress id need to wear.. as in would he suit a hunter type or the riding horse get up...