Veteran competition horses

mollichop

Visit site
Could you please help settle a 'discussion' :D between my mum and a guy she works with. He very much likes the sound of his own voice and thinks he is the oracle on anything and everything.

He said to mum that horses retire from competing around 15. Now I know of many horses competing (and doing blooody well) into their late teens but could you provide me with some examples please.

Different spheres would be great, not just eventing. Thanks :) not that mum wants to prove a point or anything :p

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Didnt the grey go round badders this weekend at the grand old age of 18 - most psg horses are knocking on a bit too, as it takes so many years to get to that level

sassybebe

Visit site
Alot of top level horses retire around that age, a bit older now i think but obviously there are a few that carry on like lenamore, kanselier. Also they don't always completely retire, some will drop down a level or two to young riders, amateurs etc. Unless they are injured i don't think it does competition horses any favours to completely retire at that age. Lower levels comp horses seem to continue until they want to stop pretty much. Shutterfly's getting on a bit too if you want an older horse still at a very high level

Also if you want non pros, i have a 16 year old competing BS regularly, wont be retiring anytime soon, also an 18 year old pony still out winning likely to retire in the next couple of years only due to arthritis. Monday i saw a 26 year old horse win at a BS show :)

Last edited:

seoirse

Visit site
We retired our jumping pony from competition last Sunday at her last jumping event. She's 25 this year. She will continue to compete in a bit of dressage and the odd (veteran!) showing class, and she's qualified for trailblazers showing champs as well this year.

LickettySplit

Visit site
Jeanette Brakewell's Over To You completed his 7th and final Badminton at 19.

James Robinson's Comanche is also 18 and completed his 7th Badminton this year.

Tamarillo won Burghley aged 16.

Anky won individual gold at the Olympics on Bonfire who was 17 at the time.

Can't think of any show-jumpers competing past 15 though..