Veteran feeds, supplements, balancers - worth it??

Chex

Visit site
I keep reading about all the feeds that horses "should" be getting, especially veterans. And I can't help but feel bad that I don't really bother with any of it
frown.gif
. There's so many specific feeds and supplements now for veterans. Chex has always been fed the basics, for example this summer he wasn't fed anything, and over winter he has had a handful of hi-fi and a handful of hi-fi cubes a day (with a general supplement). I was looking at the balancers too, and thought lo cal would be good for over the summer. BUT he has had nothing like that for the last 9 years and he's been fine! Am I being a mean mummy? Or is it a case of - if it ain't broke...
confused.gif
crazy.gif

Its partially about the money - I have no hesitations on buying expensive food if it will help him, but I'm not keen on just throwing money away
crazy.gif

This is him recently, aged about 25:
DSCF2122.jpg

DSCF2125.jpg

He's still in proper work, and we had a brilliant 2.5 hour hack today!

I don't really know what my point is, I'm just feel guilt tripped into buying all this stuff, and wonder whether he would be a happier, healthier horse on it
frown.gif
frown.gif

Help
confused.gif
frown.gif

fizzer

Visit site
he look rather well so wouldnt change too much, as long as he is getting his vitamins and minerals would carry on as you have been unless he changes

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Having had an old pony i think some of the veteran feeds/supplements are worth the money. However i would only consider feeding them if the horse needed something extra. Your horse clearly looks like he is doing fine on whatever you are feeding him!!!
grin.gif

Chex

Visit site
Ok, 2 votes for the if it ain't broke...
grin.gif

I worry that a lot of the veteran mixes are conditioning, which he definitely doesn't need! But then they're supposed to aid digestion, which is good. The one thing I will put him on next year is a strong joint supplement, he needs that.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I think the general idea is that veterans lose condition easily, and are a litle stiff in the joints.
If Chex is the same now as he was 9 years ago as regards mobility, condition etc, then I wouldnt change a thing.
You're doing a fab job and he's gorgeous.

Chex

Visit site
Thanks
laugh.gif
His mobility isn't very good, but I'm hoping it was just worse this winter due to being overweight and not getting worked all autumn and winter. No problem with condition
smirk.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
But then if it doesnt improve you could always add something to help him out there. I'm a convert to happy Hoof, just srarted on it and ponio adores it and it won't make him fat, plus it has garlic and mint in it.

bracken1

Visit site
happy hoof is great but he may need a bit more help with his joints being a bit older I swear by cortaflex although naf superflex is meant to be good as well

Chex

Visit site
I used Happy Dieter last year, and that was good. He's definitely going on a joint supplement next year, it will be pricey though as according to vet cortaflex, superflex etc aren't strong enough for him when arthritis has already set in.

lucemoose

Visit site
Chex, i think your boy is ace for his age! His crest looks a little less wowee now too.Is the supplement your vet talking about synequin?
You could always swap your gen.supp to something like the codlivine joint supplement, is about the same price and is really gd- and I am not a supplement fan!

crazy

New User
Visit site
Wow he looks wonderful at 25. Golden oldies are to be cherished, they offer so much and too many people over look them as past it. Well done his a credit to you and looks real fun.
smile.gif

custard

Visit site
I think he looks gr8, thought you were going to say he was about 16-18!!

I used to use all sorts of stuff for will's feet and found a good farrier and alfa a was the best. The feed companies want you to feel guilty so you will buy, buy, buy!!!

If he's stiff the only thing Ive heard consistently good reports about is cortaflex, although I think regular light work is probably as good, he looks lovely
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Chex, i think your boy is ace for his age! His crest looks a little less wowee now too.Is the supplement your vet talking about synequin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. His crest is slowly shrinking, unfortunately the grass is growing already though so not sure how much longer I can battle to reduce it
frown.gif
. Vet didn't mention a specific one, but just generally the prescription ones - synequin, cortavet, cortaflex HA (not sure if that one's prescription or not) etc

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow he looks wonderful at 25. Golden oldies are to be cherished, they offer so much and too many people over look them as past it. Well done his a credit to you and looks real fun.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely! So many people write them off, even as young as 15 or 16! He is super fun, safe but very fast and can jump the moon
laugh.gif