Veteran welsh cob feeding advice

Beccahh

www.youtube.com
can someone help
I have a 15hh 23year old welsh .. he’s still in work and quite happy with only very very very mild arthritis .. however the vet said it’s only really noticeable when he’s been stabled overnight and a few steps he’s stiff in the morning ( passed a flexion test) anyway he’s been on happy hoof for about 6months as I wasn’t doing much with him after he fractured his splint bone so was coming back into work .. recently he’s been leaving some of his feed and even picking hay over it ( not like him he absolutely adores food) I’m wanting to change him over to something else. He’s not needing condition however we don’t have good grass so He’s still rather well weight wise but this does drop in winter . I can’t add micronised linseed as turns out he gets super itchy on it :( also no turmeric as I own the only horse who seems to be allergic to it ? he’s not a fizzy horse .. though he used to be back in the day .. can anyone recommend anything

Highmileagecob

Visit site
This sounds a bit like my old timer, who didn't come through last winter as he usually did. I called the dentist back (three months after his routine check) and a sharp hook was found on the very back molar. This has sorted out his feeding issues for the moment, but I have been warned that he is losing grinding surfaces and will need a change from his usual haylage. Hay is absolutely out due to COPD issues, so I am busy looking at optioms before this coming winter.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If he holds his weight well then I'd maybd just add a balancer. If he really needs a feed, I'd recommend Allen and Page Fast Fibre (very low calorie content ) or their Cool and Collected.