veterans - how long to persevere ?

daydreamer

Visit site
hey everyone - I'm looking for some advice/sympathy/kick up the bum!

This time last year I started loaning a 19yro ex-eventer. We have had fun but there have been some issues - two coughing/respiratory episodes which stopped riding for about a month each. I got the vet out and he had ventipulmin for about a month which seemed to help. He has now gone lame - not hopping lame and there is no obvious swelling/heat/sore bits. I thought initially he was footsore as the farrier cancelled on me and didn't come until a week after he was supposed to. He had about a week off after shoeing and I started doing a bit of work in walk and a tiny bit of trot and all seemed ok. He was lame again tonight and I am going to get the vet out. So far with waiting for the farrier etc it's been about 3 weeks. The farrier has said in the past "he's a ****** to keep sound" although I haven't had any previous problems.

I'm just wondering at what point with a veteran do you decide to wind things down? Usually (apart from the coughing episodes) he is in good health and people say how well he looks for his age. I don't want to do much but would like to walk/trot/canter out hacking and do some schooling. Am I just being impatient? I know you could have similar issues with younger horses but worry this may become a repeating pattern of on/off problems due to his age.

Jo1987

Visit site
Yes turmeric worth a try, my 25 year old is much happier on it. Still a little stiff, but not lame and back to his cheeky chappy self!
He is obviously lame behind without it and quite listless, I can't believe how effective it is!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don't think you will know just yet if it's just a bad patch or if it's a longer term decline. The respiratory issues may be summer allergy related and one lameness doesn't mean the end. My 20yr old had an op last year on his hind annular ligaments had 6 months off all in all but is now back to all paces out hacking and touch wood ok for the last 10 months and seems to really enjoy it, but I am very careful about where and how long I do faster work. I don't school anymore though as he clearly no longer enjoys that (not that he ever did! 😄) and consequently I don't enjoy it either.

I've just started turmeric to see if it gives him that extra pizazz that he used to have. Although I didn't always enjoy it when he did!

daydreamer

Visit site
hmm ok thanks, i'll look into it. Do people feed it instead of other supplements? Currently he has a balancer, a joint supplement and more recently a respiratory supplement!