Veterinary and Hoof Care

rosped

New User
Visit site
I have a 17 year old Appy (who is blind due to uveitis but not what I'm asking about), who seems to have something wrong with his hind legs. Whenever I or the farrier lift his leg to clean or shoe, he lifts his leg way up, not to kick, but seems like he is having a spasm as his leg will shake for awhile. It takes some time for him to drop it back down and sometimes he will keep lifting it until he almost falls over. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

rosped

New User
Visit site
I have a 17 year old Appy (who is blind due to uveitis but not what I'm asking about), who seems to have something wrong with his hind legs. Whenever I or the farrier lift his leg to clean or shoe, he lifts his leg way up, not to kick, but seems like he is having a spasm as his leg will shake for awhile. It takes some time for him to drop it back down and sometimes he will keep lifting it until he almost falls over. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?
I should add this is his hind legs (probably obvious).

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Yes, my old cob does this, and started about five years ago - he is 29. Happy to assume he gets cramp if he is asked to lift for too long. He often does it when asked to lift a hind foot, and needs to steady himself and maybe take three of four attempts to get comfy. He will overbalance if you try and lift longer than he is happy with.

rosped

New User
Visit site
Yes, my old cob does this, and started about five years ago - he is 29. Happy to assume he gets cramp if he is asked to lift for too long. He often does it when asked to lift a hind foot, and needs to steady himself and maybe take three of four attempts to get comfy. He will overbalance if you try and lift longer than he is happy with.
Thanks. I was hoping there might be a way to treat it. He's such a sweetie.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
My boy does this but he does have hock arthritis. I know a lot of older horses like this - I definitely think it’s a stiffness related thing. I just ask my boy to pick his foot up and let him get comfortable before I pick his hoof out or whatever I am doing. He has Danilon before the farrier and my Farrier has a special low down stand and is careful not to flex his hind legs too high.

Last edited:

rosped

New User
Visit site
My boy does this but he does have hock arthritis. I know a lot of older horses like this - I definitely think it’s a stiffness related thing. I just ask my boy to pick his foot up and let him get comfortable before I pick his hoof out or whatever I am doing. He has Danilon before the farrier and my Farrier has a special low down stand and is careful not to flex his hind legs too high.
I've never heard of danilon. Is it prescribed thru your vet?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes. It is basically Bute but a lot kinder on the liver and also more palatable for them.

I think Danilon is kinder on the stomach but the liver converts it into bute, so the same effect there. I recently found out that long term use of bute damage the kidneys. I'd always thought it was the liver.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
I think Danilon is kinder on the stomach but the liver converts it into bute, so the same effect there. I recently found out that long term use of bute damage the kidneys. I'd always thought it was the liver.

Interesting, I’ve always been told it’s the liver too!