Vets bills

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Do you ever understand them
I have just had to change vets as our vet stopped doing horses and my new vet bill is a mindfield.They came out to both our horses but sent a bill to both my daughter and myself and a lot of the items are duplicated.The call out fee is completely different on each bill but both say full visit,they charge for examination,giving an intravenous injection and dressing the wound and charge 3x the price I pay for vetrap in the shops Then there are the charges for the drugs and one horse had a flu/tet but it looks like they charged for 2.
I think they have got mixed up with two addresses because both horses [at our old vets] bills came to me and then my daughter got her own house so the bills then went to her but the old horse may have still had my address on from the old vet but as I said it is really difficult to understand.They are one of the top vet practices in the country but they have done something wrong with our bill
Two visits [minor] £800
How much do you pay for visits and examinations ect
I do think vets do a brilliant job but it is getting very expensive

Tia

Visit site
Callout used to be around £25. Emergency/holiday callout was about £75. If visiting 2 horses then the callout charge is normally split. Examination can range from about £20 - £40 depending on what vet has to assess.

Flu/tet jab is usually around £40.

IV (depending on what it is) and cleaning up of wound and dressing shouldn't run to more than £100.

If I was you I would query this bill - it seems very excessive and incorrect to me.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Think you need to get down to their office sharp with all your records and get it cleared up particularly as you are a new client; don't want them thinking you're a late payer or trouble maker cos they don't know you! Once the address thing has been sorted out you shouldn't be bothered any longer with bills that are your daughter's!
This is also a reason why I try to keep spares of things like Vetwrap/Melolin, cos they are eternal rip off merchants for supplies which you can usually get at least a third off their prices.
If I have to use the practise, a callout with vat is about £30, a flu/tet about the same though it's a long time since I've had to use them cos my friend (is a vet) does them for me!

mlm

Visit site
i had three ponies registered with a one vet. one pony got kicked in the field . as it was going to be loads of visits x-rays etc i went through insurance. when i got my bill it was divided between two ponies. one day it would say call out for ..... next day it had the other ponies name. it took me ages to sort it out and i had to have it perfect for the insurance company.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Ok call out was £58 on one bill and £34 on the other,the flu/tet vac was£65.81.I had loads of vetrap but she dressed it with hers and as I say it was 300% more than I pay for one.
I hate querying vet bills but I will have to,The call outs at £92 each time can't be right and as I say they have charged on both bills for the same things so it is completely wrong but I don't want them to think I'm a moaner as they promptly came out and were very good

Tia

Visit site
If I was you, in future do what I do. Regardless of the horses ownership - have ONE bill sent to you for both horses. Then you and your daughter split the costs depending on whom pays for what.

When vets have to split the bill they always add on money.

At my yard I have a number of boarders and whenever the vet comes, he bills me. I then pick through the bill and separate off what is not mine and then bill the owners individually. This works well and is normally a lot cheaper for everyone.

In your case, you must sit down with your daughter and write down everything that was done; then you need to go into the surgery with your written out list and query the bills. Ask for just one bill for the two horses would be my advice.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Yes, thank you as I said I hate to moan but I really must query it.My daughter pays all the vet bills anyway but the old horse hadn't had any treatment since she moved and even though we booked it all to her address I suppose when my old vet sent the records my address was down for that horse.
I think I will also ask how much visits actually are and what additional charges there can be because my last vet just charged visit and examination, this practice charges extra for every little bit but as I say they were very good.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, thank you as I said I hate to moan but I really must query it.
I think I will also ask how much visits actually are and what additional charges there can be because my last vet just charged visit and examination, this practice charges extra for every little bit but as I say they were very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

However good they were does not give them the right to rip you off if they knew about it or not IMO! The only reason I can see for different call out charges is the difference in your addresses but as the horses are kept together that does not wash at all. You do need to go into the office and make sure they have everything correct as regards contact names, addresses and phone numbers and where the bills should go to. Also have your present bills to go with your lists of treatments and visits. It's likely to take a while to sort out so you need to make sure someone from the accounts will be there to answer your queries.
I hope you sort it all out; do let us know how you get on.

joy

Visit site
My mare managed to get caught in the fence. Vet call out, inspection, anti tet, antibiotics and a weeks supply of 'bute less than £70. Bargain.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Smile folks, I've just had a vet bill for £4000 for a colic surgery....and no, I wasn't fully insured.
smile.gif

I've been laughing about it, not because I'm rich, but why worry about things you can't change?
laugh.gif

Want to swap bills he he he?
S

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I've had my share of those but this was just a straight forward call.
I would spend what it costs if it meant saving his life and he would be ok afterwards.
Had colic surgery once and never had another problem afterwards ,so hope yours goes ok

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Very rarely understand mine. I received a bill for £16 the other day - when I know that it should be around the £100 mark.....

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Hi Carthorse
She's a Shire X so perhaps you'd approve? It's nearly 4 weeks since her op and she's doing really well so far (touch wood!). She's only young so worth a chance.
smile.gif

S

merlinsquest

Visit site
Surely if the callout is being shared by two people it should be split.......

When we share a call out fee, the amount charged is ONE call out fee split between Two people, therefore we pay half the amount normally charged!!!

Time to change vets if no joy I would say!!

joanne1920

Visit site
blimey flu and tet for £65, usually our vets charges bout £50 for flu and tete with the call out.... but the vets arent my best friend any more... theyve cost be a fortune.. ive bought a pony that i was told didnt have a hernia at a vetting and was part of his sheath to be told 3 months later it is! hmmm.... :-(