Vets - getting a second opinion

jaquelin

Visit site
I thought I would share this after reading a number of postings about difficulty getting a diagnosis or treatment of horses from vet, and going back again and again.

Do not be afraid to be sceptical - if the vet's diagnosis does not ring true, then seek another opinion. I recently had my horse checked for a generalised soreness behind - not hocks, no kissing spines, etc. Thermal imaging showed areas of soreness. Vet - not mine - suggested a long time off work and some rather expensive treatments while off. These seem to be treatments he has developed himself and promotes. I thought about it briefly, but politely told him I would seek my current vet's opinion. My horse has always had tension issues, expressed in his back, and my view is this is best addressed with physiotherapy, horse chiropractor or similar on a regular basis.

You know your animal better than your vet does, so if the diagnosis doesn't ring true, it may be better to go elsewhere.

Circe

Visit site
Agree with this completely, esp when people are facing making decisions on whether to pts, but seem unhappy with their vets.
Ive recently been in this situation, & although i ended up having to pts my old appy, I am so glad i got a 2 nd opinion for the extra information the second vet was able to give me ( after actually examining my horse - the first vet didnt even do that ). It made me sure i d made the right decision.
Kx