Vets in South

Tempi

Visit site
I know this should be in veterinary but hoped i would get more response in here.

My colt is likely to have to have an operation and im phoning vets in my area to get quotes (they currently range from £1500 to £500!!!)

Horse is in Andover, which is Hampshire.

So far i've phoned:

Barn Equine (Ringwood) - they are cheapest so far
Endells (Salisbury)
O'Gorman, Slater and Main
and one other who is my actual vet but ive forgotten his practices' name
blush.gif
blush.gif

Any suggestions? - he will need over night stabling so must have good facilities. Will travel up to 1hr 1/2 but no longer as hes only 19months so dont want him in the lorry for too long (personnel preference).

Cliqmo

Visit site
You can try Damory in Blandford (their equine surgery is in Sturminster Newton) or, if you are willing to travel further, Willesley equine clinic near Tetbury are absolutely great.

saskia295

Visit site
I know the Barn well and would thoroughly recommend them. They are absolutely fantastic and if they are the cheapest I would bite their hand off! Good luck
smile.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Liphook equine hospital tend to be well priced, they would be super for that sort of thing. One of my mares was operated on a few years ago there and was v. well looked after.

Dragon22

Visit site
What surgery does he require?

I know all of those practices well and would personally suggest O'Gormans, they are usually very good on price and have two diploma qualified surgeons whereas as far as I am aware the Barn have none.

I don't think Damory have a facility for anaesthesia although they may have now.

The only other equine hospital that I can think of that may fall within your 1 1/2hr journey time is Liphook but they are usually expensive.

Tempi

Visit site
Just had a look on Damary website and they have GA facilities.

He only has one ball (!) so he has to go in for an operation to be gelded under GA. O'Gormans quoted me £1500!!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
have been told by my vet to shop around for quotes. He's going to be checked by my vet again end of March and is hes still only got one il go with whatever quote is best as i have to get him gelded before his second birthday otherwise i have to register him as a stallion.

ihatework

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McGonnell and Gillatt- Newbury.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my vet!! (I knew it was something like that - they were the most expensive!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my vet too
smile.gif
Didn't think they had facilities for anesthesia though
confused.gif

If he's young, fit and healthy and the op is simple I'd go for the cheapest knowing me! Something more complicated and I'd research the surgeon.

Tempi

Visit site
That what i think too, my vet has also told me to go for the cheapest as he says its a straightforwards operation (well as straightforward as operations are).

Just got a quote from Liphook, shan't be using them!!!!
shocked.gif

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't think they had facilities for anesthesia though
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, they dont - he referred me to another vets which then quoted me a very expensive price! I did all this back in November so have forgotten since then!! Now i need to start thinking about it again though. Fingers crossed he has his other by the end of march
grin.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
No I use Hampshire Equine Clinic, but don't think they have facilities there. My old mare which was pts, was referred there and they were great.
smile.gif

Worried1

Visit site
Not quite the same but you know my mum's mule He had to be castrated under GA on a table as they have an extensive blood supply and often need clamping and cauterising.

We used Bell Equine but am guessing that's too far to travel - they were very reasonable...

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Willesley Equine, Tetbury. Ollie Crowe did are recent gelding there under GA, he is very good
smile.gif
01666 880501

Bushy and Willesley are now technically one vet practise, trading as B&W Vet Group but they still run from the 2 sites
wink.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Willesley are very expensive, got a quote from them aswell. They are also a little bit too far from me.

The best quotes ive got are from Barn Equine and Ridgeway Vets so will go with one of those two should the time come.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone
smile.gif