Vets in South

Nicco

Visit site
Can thoroughly recommend Ridgeway vets (Valley Equine Hospital).

They did the same op on my NF colt - admittedly years ago - but they were very good. They have some very good vets working there and have all the facilities you could ever want.

Prices always seem fair.

Good luck.

jenh166

Visit site
Coach House vets - newbury. They will be cheaper than o'gorman's who are a referral practice. They definitely have anaesthesia equipment. Lovely people, I go there for vet student work experience.

BruceBladon

New User
Visit site
My comment is that you need to be very careful comparing quotes for surgery. They are only estimates, and the variation in what is included or not is considerable (not least VAT).
For a horse with one testis, there are several surgical options - does the horse need an anaesthetic at all - many rigs are done laparoscopically under sedation, if the surgeon has the expertise, which is obviously cheaper, and has further savings after surgery as less stabling is necessary. Make sure your estimates are comparable - one could be for a simple castration without stabling while another is for a complex abdominal operation including all drugs, stabling, etc.

gem2buc

Visit site
I use The Barn and I think they are excellent. A smaller practice you could try is Seadowns - they have a couple of excellent equine vets if you are looking to get more comparator quotes.

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. All the quotes i have been given are for different circumstances (ie stabling/GA etc) and i have been given breakdowns from each vets i have asked for quotes from. I am fully aware of all this, i am also a bookkeeper so fully aware of the VAT element aswell!!!
grin.gif

rocketdog69

Visit site
My horse was gelded as a 5 year old by Jo Holmes who at the time was based in Andover with Clive Hamblin. They have now joined with a vets based in Newbury, cant remember the name at the mo.(Ihave her tel no if you need it) I can thoroughly recommend her and I dont think they are too expensive. I was riding my boy out at walk a week later she did such a good job.

Garston Vets (Equine Hosp at Bradford on Avon) not too expensive either

rocketdog69

Visit site
I had a quote from Francis and Jackson for a procedure and when my bill arrived it was double the quote. They hadnt added on to the quote all the extras. Couple of weks later I had another bill from them, it took me a couple of weeks to realise something was wrong so when I checked up they had overchgarged me by £120 and they hadnt noticed. If I hadnt said anything myself they would have taken my money!