Vets now doing 12 month flu vaccinations again

tatty_v

Visit site
I think a lot of vet practices’ hands are tied by what their governing bodies are saying, a lot of which is premised on small animal (many more consults per day and in a confined space) rather than equine. The governing bodies also seem pretty preoccupied with what the rest of the population would think of vets if they claimed they were key workers and carried on as normal, despite this being the case in other countries in lockdown.

I think it’s a shame and to a certain extent vets have been let down by the confused and ever-changing advice. It puts them in a really difficult position if they go against it, both from a staff health and welfare angle and also with regards to relationships between local vet practices.

Hopefully there will be some clearer guidance soon that puts us on a more normal footing.

Surbie

Visit site
My equine vets have just posted this up on their FB feed. This will be a relief to many of us - my 3 are due in July. I imagine that most practices will do the same now.

Thank you all for bearing with us over the last couple of weeks.

We have made the decision to start doing annual vaccinations again. Having considered the government advice, the advice of our governing body (the RCVS) and the importance of vaccination, we have decided that the risks of spreading Coronavirus can be suitably reduced to safeguard yourselves and our vets whilst upholding the benefits of improved welfare for horses via vaccination.
Every vaccination will be subject to a phone risk assessment – during which we will run through what to expect, but essentially we will require you to tie your horse up in the stable and watch the vet inject it from 10 meters away. The passport will need to be left out for signing by the vet.
We will ONLY be doing vaccinations which are ‘due’ i.e. no six-month vaccinations.

RCVS guidance hasn't changed on their website (https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/coronavirus-covid-19/) so ours aren't doing them yet.

Like ycbm, mine was done in February. And there are bigger issues atm, but it's going to play merry hell with competitions and other events when we can get going again.

canteron

Visit site
The vets are happy with this - it was the RCVS (or whatever their trade body is) that banned it and they have all been lobbying to have it lifted on the basis it can be done with limited contact. Most vets are very badly impacted financially atm with lots of the junior ones being furloughed and this helps them a lot!!

VRIN

Visit site
Also they wouldn't vaccinate an 'ill' horse eg colicking under any circumstances so it would be a little counter productive. As I understand it, the new guidance will mean vets can decide themselves what they consider 'safe' and can choose to do or not on this basis.