vetting - 2 stage or 5 stage for my new boy?!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Hi All,

I know the obvious answer would be not to skimp on a vetting and I didnt for my last horse but my new boy (to be
laugh.gif
!) had a 5 stage vetting only 9 months ago. I know a lot can happen in 1 day let alone 9 months but he is 6 years old, passed the 5 stage vetting, he wont be competed (maybe the odd dressage test, odd hunt etc). I am just more worried that he may have picked up a lameness in the past 9 months and cant that can be picked up in a 2 stage work up?
I have him on a 1 month pre purchase trial and the vetting is booked 4 days after he comes to me so hopefully any bute etc will be out of his system (if he had been given any!!)
what would you guys do?

thanks!

_jetset_

Visit site
This is a tough one... when I bought my mare she had had a 5 stage 6 months previously so I got a 2 stage because someone knew her so could tell me what had been done with her since then etc.

Weezy

Visit site
I dont vet as a rule *ducks thrown bricks* As you have had the horse for a month I certainly wouldnt be worrying about anything becoming apparent in his bloods - 2 stage should deffo be enough IMHO

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
I havent got him yet, he is coming next wednesday and vetting is on the 6th Dec (christ it is nearly christmas - it has just dawned on me!) but I see what you are getting at weezy with the bloods not being necessary.

Halfpass

Visit site
I didn;t have my mare vetted but got a full 90 day warranty. She is young and mostly unhandled so a vetting would not have been easy. She has turned out great and I just got vet to give her the once over when he vaccinated her.

_OC_

Visit site
Always a 5 stage....I know what is valid today could be different tomorrow and I had a 5 stage with my cob as a 6 year old....but, then I am" Mrs Cautious"!!!!!!...Yeah, I really am must come with old age!
frown.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
my friend had a 5 stage done, the horse would have sailed thru a 2 star but was bridle lame and failed the 5 stage in a big way. if you are having a vetting then go for a 5 star
xx

Rambo

Visit site
It depends how much you are paying, how much you are prepared / can afford to lose, and what you intend to do with him. The difference in price is only about £100 anyway
smile.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Definitely a 5 stage. The certificate is valid for 30 days so the one done months ago is useless to you. Many vets wont even do a 2 stage anymore.

icemaiden113

Visit site
I personally don't vet! I used to but found it to be a complete waste of time and money. The best thing you can do is get the horse insured, the vet fee would be better spent on that then you are covered for whatever goes wrong!