Vetting a 2 1/2 week old foal - Any experience of this?

[142807]

Visit site
I’m in the process of buying a 2.5 week old foal which will need vetting for insurance purposes however I’m not keen on a foal having flexion tests done at that age, has anyone had any experience with this?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
To add, insurance will require a basic certificate which can be done from 30 days old.
Vet will check heart, eyes, resp rate, umbilicus and conformation and ask about any issues (if any) when it was foaled.
This is what my insurance wanted for my homebred, plus the igg results , they did have a particular form that needed completing so you might want to check that beforehand to make sure everything has been noted.
I managed to get cover from 14 days old.

Abi90

Visit site
I have just been researching this to insure my foal and some insurance companies genuinely request 2 and 5 stage vettings on foals! How do you even 5 stage vet a foal?

[142807]

Visit site
I've bought quite a few foals. Never, ever had one vetted. Never had a problem going forward.
Unfortunately that isn’t an option as this foal is with a stud whose insurance becomes invalid the instant the foal is sold. It has to stay with the dam until weaning so has to be insured by purchaser, therefore requiring immediate vetting for the insurance.

[142807]

Visit site
No foal will be flexion tested.
I would not vet such a young foal (assuming it has been responsibly bred and therefore had a basic check and IGG within 24hours of birth). I would place a deposit dependent on a vetting closer to 3 months
Waiting 3 months is not possible as this is an elite foal so has to be secured immediately. From what I can see flexion is not necessary so that’s removed my concern in relation to the vetting.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You can’t vet a two and a half week foal it’s unethical and waste of time .
Just before Weaning would the earliest .
Usually you reserve a foal after a healthy delivery and a partial vet check is done just before weaning .
I have never heard of a foal being flex tested ,you are fussing about nothing , even if they did you can simply ask the vet not too .

[142807]

Visit site
In which case I would ask your elite vets advice not Horse & Hound forum members who surely do not have elite horses!!
No need to be rude, I can ask who I like, it is a forum after all. The status of the foal is not the question, I am asking if others have experience with flexion tests on foals.

[142807]

Visit site
You can’t vet a two and a half week foal it’s unethical and waste of time .
Just before Weaning would the earliest .
Usually you reserve a foal after a healthy delivery and a partial vet check is done just before weaning .
I have never heard of a foal being flex tested ,you are fussing about nothing , even if they did you can simply ask the vet not too .
It is common practice to vet a foal at 2.5 weeks according to some vets I have now spoken with but you are correct that the flexion test is not usually done. However some insurance companies insist on it, I will not be using those particular companies.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Perhaps things happen differently on the continent? Either way, I think it’s entirely appropriate and sensible to have your purchase vet checked, but there’s obviously a limit as to what can be done.

Good luck with your purchase.

Esmae

Visit site
Why are you British so testy with comments? I am just stating it’s an elite foal which in no ways implies others are donkeys. Wow the heck is the matter with you folks lol.

Your comment was rude frankly. If that is how you choose to be then don't be surprised if you get a reaction.

windand rain

Visit site
I bought an elite foal and had a simple heart, eyes and breathing vetting. Limbs change so could only check a brief toe in out and lower limb. Limb conformations is changing from day one until at least 6 months and probably a year. You can only insure for accident/illness as conformation is pre exsisting or developemental so no cover. I am afraid you pay your money and take a chance

[142807]

Visit site
Perhaps things happen differently on the continent? Either way, I think it’s entirely appropriate and sensible to have your purchase vet checked, but there’s obviously a limit as to what can be done.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thank you for your comment. Yes things are very different where I am, I hadn’t realised that some people don’t get their foals vetted before purchase. Where I am the studs insurance becomes invalid the moment a foal is sold and the purchaser must insure it themselves, these Foals are expensive so it’s just the way it’s done here. I was concerned about a flexion test on such a young foal but it would seem this is not normal practice in the U.K. I think I’ve gone on the wrong forum. Anyway have a lovely day.