Vetting, what would you do?

jemstone

Visit site
I am possibly having a horse on a trial in the hope to buy her. I am going to have her vetted towards the end of the trial as long as she is ok. Would you have a 5 stage vetting still even though you would have seen the horse for two weeks solid? Or would you just opt for a 2 stage?

Personally i am a bit suspicious of vettings as nothing seems to be able to pass now days!

Thanks in advance!
grin.gif

hollyzippo

Visit site
I work at a vets- have the 5 stage, not that much more £ but worth it for heart/lungs and lameness work up- if they dont pass usually for a good reason and if its something petty u can still opt to buy it anyway!!
Will save money in the long run!!

jayvee

Visit site
Hmm I dunno. But the price of the horse would be an influence as wether to or not.
I have bought horses after having a 5* and turn out to be a failiure sound wise. And then took the risk of not and have had fantasicly sound horses.
Gamble either way IMO.
Least you are in a good position with the trial. Good luck.

filly190

Visit site
I think they are being very good letting you have her on trial before buying, because of this, I am sure you wont find much (anything) wrong. They are obviously very confident that things are going to go well.

I feel very hopeful for you both, I think a vetting is worthwhile and I would pay as for the five star.

Alibear

Visit site
price of the horse and make sure the people who own him are happy for the vetting to take place. If you have it and it shows up something nasty it could get tricky (have known of a horse flexing positive and being off on that leg for a long time afterwards)

Personally I am all for vettings but just want you to make sure your back is covered.

Iestyn

Visit site
If I'm honest I would have the full 5 stage vetting done before you take her on loan/trial - covers your back in the event of something going wrong whilst the horse is in your care as well.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Go for a vetting if i was you... there could be things you wouldn't pick up like eye problems etc (Not uncommon for horses to be for sell doing xc, sj etc that are unknowing blind(!)) So Its not just about being sound. Yes she still could become ill the next week also you would have blood sample can come in handy. Remeber vets look at what you would want the horse for and whether hes suitable what hes sound doing now he might not be doing your jobs!

Skhosu

Visit site
Go for a vetting. I hear so many saying horses aren't passing..
I have 5 in the barn all passed w/ flying colours.
Always walk away if it doesn't pass too. Only ever had one fail the vet, and know a lot of people who have horses that also passed.