Vetting - would you?

ecrozier

Visit site
Just looking for a bit of advice.....I have a horse on loan who has just been offered to me to buy, due to a change in her owners circumstances. She is a 10 year old ISH. We have put a deposit down, but what I'm wondering is, after being around her and riding her regularly for 6 months (she is being competed regularly in dressage, SJ and XC ), would you bother getting her vetted before we finally do buy her fully?
Or do you think that in 6 months any major problems would show up?

Tia

Visit site
No I wouldn't. But many others may. Personally I think that if you have the horse for many months then generally something will show up if there is anything wrong.

KatB

Visit site
Personally no, but then again i'm not a huge fan of vettings unless you're spending alot of money. If its a horse who has always been sound, and is doing the job you want her too, I would just get a 2 stage done if necessary for piece of mind.
smile.gif

miller

Visit site
Personally I would - even if it was just to check heart, lungs and eyes.

Known more than one apparently healthy horse have alot of problems - maybe just ask the vet to run an MOT

Insurance will want vets cert over a certain value (5k) NFU - don't know how much you are paying

Parkranger

Visit site
not after the experience I had with vetting - maybe a basic heart, lungs and leg check though.....with eyes, well thats a sore point with me......!