Vettings and pads on feet

mustardsmum

Visit site
Quick question: Would a horse wearing frog supports after a bout of lami pass a vetting with the pads on?? Answers on a postcard ... (for info, lami was "about eight weeks ago")

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Quick question: Would a horse wearing frog supports after a bout of lami pass a vetting with the pads on?? Answers on a postcard ... (for info, lami was "about eight weeks ago")

Pass a vetting for what type of intended use?

They might be OK if the horse was back in light work intended for a light hack & owner was happy to use hoof boots. I wouldn't bet on he or she passing a vet for higher intensity work at the moment.

Not quite the same but my vet was happy for my horse to be trotted up in hoof boots though after laminitis.

mustardsmum

Visit site
A bit of everything, Riding club, lot of hacking, fun rides,xc. I think I know the answer - but I just needed someone to tell me. Makes walking away a bit easier if its not going to get through a proper 5 stage.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Even if it passes (unlikely!) you would not be able to insure as it very definitely has a pre existing condition.

I would also want to know why he/she had lami. Has it been tested for EMS/Cushings? Did the owner have X rays?

Can of worms, I would avoid... Says the person who bought Rigsby when he was just finishing 3 months of box rest for lami, no X rays done, EMS at 236 (from memory), cushings borderline, copd, mallenders and a rig to boot ?

I obviously didn't take my own advice and he has been amazing, as a light hack, but I wouldn't have bothered vetting as I would have known what the answer would be!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
A bit of everything, Riding club, lot of hacking, fun rides,xc. I think I know the answer - but I just needed someone to tell me. Makes walking away a bit easier if its not going to get through a proper 5 stage.

If you like the horse, don't necessarily write him off! Especially if you can see X rays, know the reason for laminitis and have a prognosis from the vet.

You won't know unless you try or speak to the vet. It'll depend on different factors too - 14 months ago mine needed boots and gel pads to be trotted up in for the vet but now the rotation has been reversed and he's hacking out for cantery, jumping rides bootless.

I'm only just putting him back in boots for hacking & only for the miles we are now doing to prevent him going too footsore on the stony tracks.

mustardsmum

Visit site
I have asked to speak to the owners vet, but so far this hasn't happened. Infact, I get a sense that the owner doesn't want me to talk to the vet. I had not been told he had frog supports, only found out because I picked his foot up. Then was told I could only walk him. I guess the alarm bells ringing in my head should tell me to run away.....My next thread will be " can the forum find me a sound, kind, safe horse because I am loosing the will to live.....".

chaps89

Visit site
Not sure I’d be bothering to vet this one based on the owners unwillingness to be open and helpful, sorry. I’d only do so if I’d been able to have access to vet records and a conversation with the ATTENDING vet and was sufficiently satisfied that it wasn’t an ongoing issue/there was no underlying cause other than poor management by the owner/prognosis was good.
Given the reluctance to share info and that they seemingly hoped you just might not notice, it puts me right off.

Leandy

Visit site
I have asked to speak to the owners vet, but so far this hasn't happened. Infact, I get a sense that the owner doesn't want me to talk to the vet. I had not been told he had frog supports, only found out because I picked his foot up. Then was told I could only walk him. I guess the alarm bells ringing in my head should tell me to run away.....My next thread will be " can the forum find me a sound, kind, safe horse because I am loosing the will to live.....".

What! Why would you even consider this horse? I would have walked away on the spot!

Widgeon

Visit site
I have asked to speak to the owners vet, but so far this hasn't happened. Infact, I get a sense that the owner doesn't want me to talk to the vet. I had not been told he had frog supports, only found out because I picked his foot up.

If the owners aren't being honest with you about something so obvious I would run a mile.

mustardsmum

Visit site
Not sure I’d be bothering to vet this one based on the owners unwillingness to be open and helpful, sorry. I’d only do so if I’d been able to have access to vet records and a conversation with the ATTENDING vet and was sufficiently satisfied that it wasn’t an ongoing issue/there was no underlying cause other than poor management by the owner/prognosis was good.
Given the reluctance to share info and that they seemingly hoped you just might not notice, it puts me right off.

This is my dilemma, I am put off, only I do really like him but not enough to part with a large wadge of cash!! Equally, with two older ponies both with EMS I dont need a third...... TBH, I can't decided if its because they are novices or because they are hiding something. On some levels the owner appears quite clueless, there has been many contradictions about him. But was expecting them to let me know I could contact vet to talk to them about the issues with the lami.

When I first spoke to the owner, they were vague and pretty much explained he'd had mild lameness for an unknown reason, it was only on the viewing that I realised what was going on and when questioned directly, they mentioned the l-word as if it was just something they have one day, them it goes away..... if only.

Leandy

Visit site
This is my dilemma, I am put off, only I do really like him but not enough to part with a large wadge of cash!! Equally, with two older ponies both with EMS I dont need a third...... TBH, I can't decided if its because they are novices or because they are hiding something. On some levels the owner appears quite clueless, there has been many contradictions about him. But was expecting them to let me know I could contact vet to talk to them about the issues with the lami.

When I first spoke to the owner, they were vague and pretty much explained he'd had mild lameness for an unknown reason, it was only on the viewing that I realised what was going on and when questioned directly, they mentioned the l-word as if it was just something they have one day, them it goes away..... if only.

Just no. Do not even consider taking this risk. If you want to soften the blow (for both you and the seller), tell them that you would be happy to see him again in a few months time when he is sound and in full work and they have made full disclosure of all veterinary records and let your vet speak to theirs. I don't think you will hear from them again.

chaps89

Visit site

On the upside if you’re used to managing metabolic issues it won’t be a shock and he should fit right into your routine.
But everything else in your post worries me, unless you knew of them through a friend and could verify their novice-ness and you do manage to speak to their vet, I’d be running far far away.
The other thing to think is if the horse is in any pain and you resolve his issues/get him slimmer or whatnot, he may not be the same as when you try him. Equally he may also not stand up to a return to work.
It would be a big gamble so unless you can negotiate a cheeky offer (even in this market surely no one sensible would buy in these circumstances), put it on the table and walk away. If he doesn’t sell you never know they may come back to you. But if you’ve had metabolic types already you’ll know it’s not just purchase price but emotional and financial commitment.

SEL

Visit site
What sort of horse are you looking for?

Ps - I know a couple of people who treat laminitis as "one of those things". One of them told me her morbidly obese welshie couldn't have it because he had shoes on.

Visit site

If you are selling a lame horse, with lami, that won't pass a vetting and still has supports on it should be a token payment to make it an official sale not a significant sum of money!

Sorry I would walk away, run and never look back!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you are selling a lame horse, with lami, that won't pass a vetting and still has supports on it should be a token payment to make it an official sale not a significant sum of money!

Sorry I would walk away, run and never look back!

This. If you like it offer them £500 for a punt, and see what you get.

Otherwise just run for them hills.

mustardsmum

Visit site
To clarify, I know the horse through a friend, but the owner not so much. He’s the one in my last post… I have decided to not proceed atm. He can’t be vetted as he’s not cantered (we were told we couldn’t canter him when we viewed). When I went to view I was expecting to find a horse that I could vet this week and bring home this weekend. I had no idea that he had pads on or that he’s pretty much rehabbing from lami. I am so aware of how these ponies need careful rehabbing even after a relative mild bout of lami. Although I am experienced with these types, I actually don’t want another one as I know only too how they get more difficult to managed once old age kicks in. I think I just needed a bit of reassurance from others that I am not over reacting - the owner seems so oblivious to what’s going on with her horse ?

thank you all for taking the time to reply, it’s been really helpful.

SusieT

Visit site
I mean I wouldn't be paying any money for it personally... recent laminitis and remedial shoeing is a take on loan or a nominal fee for me I'm afraid.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My horse has just had wedges/pads fitted as he went very slightly lame in his front legs - nothing glaringly obvious just generally a bit pottery and short. Vet examination showed no laminitis but xrays showed 'broken back' pastern axis. There is absolutely no way I would even attempt to sell this horse under these conditions. I really don't know what goes through some peoples minds...

mustardsmum

Visit site
My horse has just had wedges/pads fitted as he went very slightly lame in his front legs - nothing glaringly obvious just generally a bit pottery and short. Vet examination showed no laminitis but xrays showed 'broken back' pastern axis. There is absolutely no way I would even attempt to sell this horse under these conditions. I really don't know what goes through some peoples minds...

Rather bizarrely I already have one with broken back HPA and has been in wedges for a couple of years, like you say, flagged by being pottery and short expecially when turning. The wedges can be clearly seen on her, no way you can hide them, but this horse had frog supports which you wouldn't see unless you picked the hoof up. I think the owner was a bit surprised when I did pick the hoof up and questioned why he had frog supports on... Had I known he had these on I would not even have gone to look at him until the supports were off and we were a couple of months down the line with clear xrays. I did ride him, and now I wonder if he was also on bute so he could be exercised.... Ah well, I will move on and see what else is about....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

With this and the additional information, I would run for the hills!

Mine was totally genuine, I had a conversation with the treating vet, I knew prior to going that I could walk only and he was inexpensive. I also only wanted a companion with benefits!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I see you've already said that you're not proceeding for now, but to be honest I wouldn't proceed ever. Even if you get to speak to the vet. The vast majority of laminitis cases have endocrine dysfunction as the origin - that's why he wouldn't be insurable for laminitis, EMS or PPID. I'm saddened that the owner is even considering putting them through a 5 stage vetting only 8 weeks later. The fact he has frog supports suggests that this was quite a severe attack. Poor horse. :(

Fieldlife

Visit site
I see you've already said that you're not proceeding for now, but to be honest I wouldn't proceed ever. Even if you get to speak to the vet. The vast majority of laminitis cases have endocrine dysfunction as the origin - that's why he wouldn't be insurable for laminitis, EMS or PPID. I'm saddened that the owner is even considering putting them through a 5 stage vetting only 8 weeks later. The fact he has frog supports suggests that this was quite a severe attack. Poor horse. :(

Not sure, lots of performance farriers are now shoeing with frog supports in normal horses, to prevent the back of the foot prolapsing between the sides of the shoe. There is a whole school of thought that many horses cannot keep good hoof conformation and function in open heeled traditional shoes without frog supports being built in.

NOT saying I'd buy a horse that had recent had lamititis and could not be cantered! But that frog supports might be on normal high functioning shod horses.