Vettings - do they differ depending on your area??

Bri

Visit site
Just wondering whether anyone knew if vets followed a set out rule when vetting - or whether it varies from practise to practise?

Only asking as new girly passed a full 5 stage vetting with flying colours - yet 10 days later she arrived with bad rain-scald and seriously bad thrush.
confused.gif

Are things like this so commonplace in Ireland that they're deemed not even worth mentioning?
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Would rain scald be a reason for failing a vetting? And maybe the thrush wasn't in evidence when she was vetted???
crazy.gif

Bri

Visit site
No I doubt it very much - but we just suddenly realised it wasn't mentioned at all which in hindsight we find very surprising!
When she arrived the thrush had started to eat away at her frogs - surely it can't get that bad in 10 days? Or can it?
confused.gif

We don't think she would have necessarily failed because of this- just really surprised it wasn't mentioned!

SarahNZ

Visit site
In my opinion neither would result in a failed vetting (so to speak as there is no 'pass or fail') however the vet should have at least noted it on his report for sure.

vicm2509

Visit site
I would have thought that even if it wasnt enough for her to fail the vetting then it should have at least been mentioned.

When my horse was vetted he had mud fever, and small recent kick on his knee, he passed vetting with flying colours but both of the above were mentioned on the certificate with the comment 'of no clinical significance'. So in other words they were put down for my benefit but did not affect his insurance.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
On the plus side - it's only a bit of rain scald which you can treat, and the same with the trush........

So don't worry
wink.gif
wink.gif

Rambo

Visit site
My lad passed a 5* even though he had a bit of thrush in his feet. It was mentioned on the report.....and the bl**dy insurance company decided to slap an exclusion on the policy for any anaerobic (sp) infections of the feet
shocked.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I wouldnt expect any vet to fail a horse for common infections, except maybe mud fever if there was a suspition of Lymphangitis.
My vet regularly has to fly over to Ireland to vet horses for the big breeders he looks after. He says time and time again he has trusted different vets, only for them to go and cock up - so he does it all himself now.
As for vets doing vettings differently, I have had 5 vettings done here in the last few months (on horses I have sold). 4 vets from the same practise, and another 1 from the same area. Every single one had different requirements, and did things differently.
As for thrush and rainscald being commonplace in Ireland, I have yet to have one that doesnt have either or both.
shocked.gif

Jemayni

Visit site
I keep my horse on a dealers yard and they import about 3 horses a month from ireland, all are vetted before they come over but the majority are not "healthy" most have ringworm, many have thrush, lice and often viruses

Fiona

Visit site
Tar us all with the same brush why don't you!!
I have owned horses for 20 years (and been in a lot of different yards in that time) and I have to say I have NEVER seen a case of either rain scald (first heard of this in a post on HHO) or thrush.
That's like saying all Scots are mean.

Fiona

PS - this is not particularly intended for original poster, but to some of the replies she has received.