Vettings. How many

kick_On

Visit site
of us go to them????
I alway go (and i work full-time), as then i can question vet throught vetting and i have an indenpent witness if any problems or i see something that i didn't notice first time........
I know their expensive but if your spending 3 grand upwards i can't see any problem on spending £200 on vetting. I also shows how seller deals with horse, as with a 5 stager you're ther for good hour and half.
When i was buying a couple years ago i took three horse to 5 stages and only 3rd passed and vet siad it was best horse he vetted in 6 weeks.......
Also last horse i had vetting my friend vetted for me being a vet and i asked her about doing vetting without buyer there and her answers she hate doing them without buyer there........
What are other folks opinions??????

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I'd always go. A/L or pull a sickie
wink.gif

Why spend all that money and not attend and get feedback?

Frazer

Visit site
Always attend, you can get different interpuations of the report if you are not there. You only really have yourself to blame if you didnt ask the vet anything etc... I know some people have to work full time and can't fit it in as quick as they would like to but!

Tempi

Visit site
ive only ever had two horses. Bloss had a 2 stage (as she was cheap!) and i was there as i was a student where she was kept.

I wasnt however at Archie's vetting as where he was wasnt near me and i had to be in work that day. However vet didnt mind that i wasnt there and he phoned me straight away after the vetting. Someone else was there (the groom of the woman i brought him off). I wouldve liked to have been there to be honest, but there was no way i could be so that was that.

Nic

Visit site
I rode D at his as I bought him from George Babes & they were all at Hickstead that week!

Only one I have had vetted though.

Blizzard

Visit site
I wasnt there at the last vetting I had done, the horse failed. The vet was great though and rang me straight after, he was quite far away from me so I couldnt go unfortunately.

lorenababbit

Visit site
personally think its better if a representative from both sides there especially if high value horse in case of any subsequent dispute. even if you know the vet really well bit mean to put ALL the responsibilty on them

sunny123

Visit site
I have only ever had two horses vetted and i always will now after having one go very very wrong. I was there for one but not for the other as i couldnt make it and the vet was coming straight over to ours afterwards anyway. I would normally prefer to be there.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site

I always get horses vetted can't risk not doing so particularly as sooner or later I am likely to sell on.

I always go to the vetting if local but if I buy from a long way away (the last one was 6hrs drive away) then I don't go. I find the vets generally pretty good about getting back and reporting but if possible it is better to be there.

SusieJane

Visit site
Its part of a vets duties to report to you totally and frankly his findings of a vetting.
He shouldn't get into any discussion with the seller or their representative, and should be willing to discuss with you in detail his medical findings.
It's not his duty to discuss whether you should buy the horse, he can only advise if the horse is suitable for the type of work you stated you were buying the horse for.
That is what you're paying all that money for!!!

Also, I always spoke to the vet before he went to the vetting, and asked about the horses general temprement, manners etc as a vet isn't obliged to mention this in the vetting report.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Have got most of horses vetted and have always attended only last one couldn't but OH and daughter went which was glad as tho mare passed vetting horse reared over backward on daughter(not glad horse reared but don't know if it would of with dealer if you know what I mean).Guy still expected us to buy mare on that basis even tho he had agreed with vet to let her try it a further week,which he renegaded on.Needless to say we didn't purchase.So would def make a point of being there

Skhosu

Visit site
I've been none of ours bar a few. One was in england, one came with a cert, one we were just not there, a couple weren't really 'vetted' as such.
Been to three actually I think, two of whom passed.

Parkranger

Visit site
To be honest I don't think I'd bother again - not after getting one of the areas 'best' vets (and indeed the south of englands) and then being saddled with a horse who's blind in one eye.

Prob get a 3 stage next time just to check heart and lungs but never a 5 stage again.

If I was having a horse vetted I'd want to be present - there are things you can pick up that a vet may not always mention....and if you're there, you can use certain evidence if something goes wrong

showjump2003

Visit site
Coming from a non horsey back ground we bought many horses without even thinking about having them vetted. Must have bought over 10 horses without having them vetted... but then we bought a horse not knowing he had navicular. 7 months later he had to be put down. Had we had him vetter we would have picked up on this. Saying that though.. half glad we didn't as I am glad we got him. Poor horse had been passed from dealer to dealer and would have been sold on again by the dealer had we not had him. He had a great 7 months here withme and I am glad I was the one to love him ebough to put his out of pain. I only bought one horse after that and she was vetted.

I don't mean to sound dim but I don't know what stage vetting I had. Whats included in a 5*?

Lill

Visit site
Didn't have either of my two vetted at all! One was bought from market and one was bought private, both as 3yo's but neither were vetted.

If i was buying something new that was worth a few bob then yes i would have it vetted and yes i would be there!