Vettings - How much attention do you pay to them?

Weezy

Visit site
Ahh OK - after reading today's posts I will go back to what I said to you initially - walk away
frown.gif

Patches

Visit site
Noooo....too many posts, too little time.

I'll have to search for it.

For the record, Patches hadn't long been shod and I was at the vets with her for something else and just mentioned her tripping. That's when all hell broke loose watching her trot in a tight circle! She went in for a check up on something else....came out needing remedial shoeing. Looking at Patches her feet looked great, not too long at the toe, etc. X-rays showed a different story. Very weird.

I do hope the horse is ok. However, if the horse continues to be lame, I wouldn't entertain buying it. Been there too many times with vet fees from the off. Little heartache now could save you from alot in the future. (think Bailey)

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If I paid a vet £250 to check a horse over I would listen to what he had to say and if it failed a flexion test I would walk away, otherwise why get it vetted. I wouldn't buy a hore that failed a vetting as when you come to sell it you know its going to fail again

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally understand what you are saying but flexion tests are a huge bugbear for me - I dont hold much sted in them, however I have reverted back to what I said initially (privately) to Mooch, which is to walk away

patchandloopy

Visit site
hiya,

I have not read all the posts but when i had a 5* vetting, without my own vet as we were out of the area, Nigel wasnt flexion tested....he was however spun tightly on both sides on a hard surface. And both walked n trotted up in hand.

My own vet also doesnt agree with them-says they out the horses foot in an unnatural postion for too long and most people would show up lame if made to run straight after!! But he would flexion IF the client requested one.

I hope you can get things resolved!

Mooch

photobucket.com
lol I ment my update on here today, not a different post! lol

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I remember all too well the problems you had with poor Bailey.
frown.gif

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr why are these decissions never easy!!??

They don't have anyone else going out to see her until Thursday (but you never know if that is a ploy!!!) and they have their vet there tomorrow, so I will see what happens tomorrow.

Patches

Visit site
I'm having a terribly blonde day.

It'll teach me to read in threaded mode and not from the start of the thread!!!!

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Just read through this thread. Didn't know you'd come so far in your horse search Mooch - I hope you get sorted out soon.

I think you already know my opinion about flexion tests as I've made it clear hundreds of times.

HOWEVER, if this mare was lame the following day, and the vet checked for all signs of the usual foot soreness problems, I have to say that imho, I think you should walk away.

Don't let yourself be pressurised into buying something you might later regret.
One of the oldest tricks in the book is to tell a prospective purchaser that someone else is coming to try a horse, and also, unless you're present when their vet attends, I would be very cautious about believing what you're told unless you can speak to the vet personally.

Remember that if there is a problem at a vetting, should you have problems later on, you probably won't be covered for vets fees, so this could turn out to be a very expensive horse in the long run.

GreedyGuts

Visit site
I would walk away, although I know it is very difficult.

A horse that is lame on hard ground is likely to have some underlying problem, and my attitude is that there are so many sound horses without problems out there then why take the gamble. I know this is a difficult approach to take when you think you've found the one.

Even if you do only want to potter about with her there is still a risk that any underlying issues will become a problem in time.

Mooch

photobucket.com
Hello hunny!

You know my opinion of flexion tests too!!! lol

When they told me that they had someone going out on Thursday I said 'oh, you will see a lame horse? I'd want to resolve the problem first!'

But, like you say it might well be a ploy.

As for the vet, our vet knows him and will let me know what he has seen in the mare today.

It does look like it is going to be a no gooer tho!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Seriously K, I know how difficult it is when you really have your heart set on something, but there are loads of suitable horses out there for you.

Anyway, I'm intent on putting you off anything that isn't a Belgian Draught, pmsl!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Im no fan of these blasted tests either BUT Im with Dubs on this one, the mare was lame the day after the test......the mare IS unsound.....walk away.

Mooch

photobucket.com
I have actually been really good with this one. Probably more so because of the cost.

She couldn't be any further from a Belgian Coldblood if I tired!

I've not heard anything from them today and now have the feeling that they will see if they can sell her to the people that want to see her tomorrow, which,in my eyes is not a nice way to deal with your horses.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Hmmm, well if these other people have any sense, they won't buy her either.

I know how you feel about missing out though.
We had a phone call on new years day offering us Jae back. Not suitable for you obviously as he's a bit green and needs further schooling - it's pants when you haven't got a school, but it's gutting all the same.
At the moment, I simply can't afford to give them back what they paid for him...
frown.gif

But such is life. There will be others for both of us I'm sure.
Chin up honey.
smile.gif

collie

Visit site
Vettings are not the be all and end all but they do give you an idea of what might develop into a bigger problem which in the long run can add greater expense to the horse. Flexion tests are very harsh on an older horse but it will indicate any weakness. It very much depends on what level of activity you are going to do with the horse. Remember a vetting is a snap shot of the horses health on the day it is carried out, we all have bad days, even horses.