Vettings? X-rays? HELP

FizzyFran

Visit site
I’m looking to purchase my first horse. After a successful first viewing I am wanted to get the horse vetted for a pre-purchase.

I’ve seen various thoughts about this, go for a 5 star but no x-rays for KS, 2star only, 2 star but x-rays for KS?

I feel like this is a minefield ?

The horse is 14 years, competed at BE90. Sound and in work. No issues reported by the current owner or what I saw.

Any advice?

ihatework

Visit site
Is there a reason you are specifically calling out KS X-ray rather than a standard set of pre-purchase X-rays?

ihatework

Visit site
It is a minefield and there is no right or wrong answer.

Few questions
1. Are you intending to insure for vets fees?
2. Purchase price - is it in the bracket where X-rays are mandated to insure?
3. How long in current ownership and have you had sight of their BE record and clinical history?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Even if the horse has kissing spines, they are likely to have resulted in problems elsewhere. I would x ray all or nothing, plus a PSD scan.

FizzyFran

Visit site
Is there a reason you are specifically calling out KS X-ray rather than a standard set of pre-purchase X-rays?

I think because all I’ve been seeing in the adverts or that people who have viewed other horses have spent £££ and KS has shown up. I think it’s just a fear, no real reason why ?

ihatework

Visit site
I think because all I’ve been seeing in the adverts or that people who have viewed other horses have spent £££ and KS has shown up. I think it’s just a fear, no real reason why ?

I wouldn’t X-ray for just KS unless there were indicators it could be an issue - eg saddling, mounting, cold backed, poorly muscled. Which doesn’t mean they are non existent if those symptoms aren’t evident but less likely.

At that age you are more likely to have arthritic joints, in particular feet/coffins/fetlock’s/hocks.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
If you want to insure the horse and paying over 5 grand (limits may vary ) the insurer will require a 5 stage vetting.
I wouldn't x-ray unless vet thought there was something wrong.
Use ideally your own vet if you have one , or get local recommendations.
All vets are NOT the same . I've sadly come across one that couldn't see a lame horse if if ran him over.