Vibes for our beautiful dog please

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Can we please have some vibes for our beautiful old dog, Luba.

She's an 11 year old Doberman, and we fear the end is nearing. We suspect congestive heart failure.
She's really struggling for breath, whilst shaking, a lot. Her heart's racing. She's not been right for a few days, but today she is really bad. She won't eat, or look at a thing.

The emergency vet is on their way.

I'm just so, so worried and sad, we love her like one of us. I don'y know what we'd do if she wasn't here, with us.

This is her, a few weeks ago. :(
43441339676c3d6d81bf52fe8dc20bc0.jpg

Last edited:

Shady

Visit site
massive vibes to you, xxxxxx so sorry to read this, i love Dobermans and your lovely girl is so pretty, there are some good meds now for heart problems so i will keep my fingers crossed that there is something the vet can do, have some hugs from me too . xxxx

Alec Swan

Visit site
What a lovely old fashioned 'eye' she has, but that's by the by.

Obviously, I wish you and Luba well, but if you have any doubts about the vet's proffered advice, in your shoes, I'd insist upon factual if brutal advice and opinion. All too often animals are kept going, when it's not in 'their' best interest.

Best wishes to you all, it's a worrying time and I understand.

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I wish I could offer you some advice but unfortunately in these circumstances I would be preparing myself for the worst, heartbreaking as it is, I feel for you I really do, hugs for you and your beautiful girl Luba.

Bellasophia

Visit site
All the very best for your beautiful dog and yourself. I also would want a clear prognosis to prepare myself for the time ahead and treatment/ options I was facing.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words. She's a lot better at the moment, in fact, soon after I posted this she started getting better, and after speaking to the on-call vet, we have rescheduled her vet's appointment for tomorrow, hopefully first thing, depending how busy they are. The vet we spoke to didn't think all her symptoms (didn't post them all on here) don't quite sound like it's her heart, more on the respiratory, or diabetes side. We'll know more tomorrow.

Whatever we do, we will never allow her to suffer.

Thank you all for your kind words, and will keep you updated.

Tobiano

Visit site
oh gosh… so glad she is a bit better for now at least… do hope you have some good news from the vet tomorrow and big vibes and hugs til then. x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Sitting waiting for a friend to let me know how her Tibetan is: he was referred to the RVC today, having fallen and be unable to walk at the weekend. The vet says possibly an embolism which will resolve, but he doesn't seem to be improving. I'm going to be useless if it's bad news :(

Piaffe123

Visit site
Oh huge big cuddles and healing vibes coming yours and your lovely dogs way - Mollie my rottie sends big slobbery kisses too!

I get terribly upset hearing about other peoples animals being poorly too. A very close friend of mine lost her 15 year old dog last week, I went to school with her so have known her for a long time and I was in bits! I stayed last night with another old friend and, as I'm about to move away to do my Masters degree, I was giving her lovely old labrador a big huge cuddle goodbye. It hit me that may be the last time I see her as she's not well at the moment and I nearly blubbed then and there! They are just part of the family.

Hope she continues to improve xxx

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Thank you all. She went to the vet yesterday, and was seen by her usual, (and the director of the practice) vet, who we really trust. He did a blood test, which was inconclusive, there didn't seem to be anything abnormal there. After listening to her heart, he detected a lo-grade heart murmur. It would well be the early onset of DCM, or congestive heart failure. She has a high temperature, and is running a fever, which could explain her shaking episodes. He also thinks she has a stomach bug.

She's been given antibiotics to get the fever and infection under control, and then we can focus on her heart. She's fine in herself, playful and active, however, her appetite has now disappeared completely, and she won't eat a thing. We had to force feed her, to get the tablets into her. We'll speak to our vet before Friday, and discuses her condition again.

She's going back to the vet in 7-10 days, to check on her fever, and then we can see what's the matter with her heart.
However, she's currently very happy, running round playing, with our border collie, Molly.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

However, she's currently very happy, running round playing, …….. .

I'll admit that when i read your opening post, I feared the worst for you, but now it seems that Luba's turned a corner! Well done all of you!

I really wouldn't worry too much about her refusal to eat, a 24-48 hour fast actually benefits most dogs, and if she isn't hungry, but she's active, then her appetite will return. If she's not eating and obviously 'down', then that's the time to worry!

Good news indeed, and thank you for the update! :)

Alec.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Im glad the news is better and hopefully she will respond to the Abs, will your vet do an ECG to see what is going on with her heart. It always at the back of my mind with my Dobes as I know CDM is a big problem with Dobermanns.

My vets at Langford were doing a heart study and I was invited to take part, well my dogs were, they were of added interest because they are siblings. I took them both down there early one morning and they were not impressed with missing breakfast, Diesel had bloods done and an ECG which came back fine, Darcy wouldnt allow them to shave her so they couldnt do the test, they didnt want to stress her at all because it might have given a false reading. I said if I shaved her could I bring her back another day and they thought it was a good idea to come back in a week and I could stay with her to keep her calm. I went to shave her the night before with my lady shave and it had no affect lol, I then used a razor which was better. I must admit it was fascinating, she had to stand on a table which had the middle cut out, I had to get her to lie down and we manoeuvred her across it, the table was then raised and I could then see why the table had the middle missing as they used a sort of scanner on the area I had shaved. I could see her heart beating away on the monitor and they said how nice and calm she was, the reading was good with no ectopics which meant no palpitations. The table was lowered and she got up and I turned her around and the process was repeated. Both Diesel and Darcys hearts are fine for the moment and I was complimented on their weight which is important as to put no added strain on their hearts. All in all it was extremely interesting and the vets described everything to me in great detail.