Vicki Thompson clinics at Oldencraig?

Governor

Visit site
Has anyone ever been to one, and if so are they good?

I've got a 6 year old and we're competing at Unaff Prelim and working at Novice-ish at home. I'd rather we didn't show ourselves up if its mainly Elementry and above dressage divas who attend! Do you think we'd be ok?

Tempi

Visit site
mayb get some private lessons first or something, i think you'l find it will be high level horses - but then again they will probably ask yours/horses ability and split into groups.

Governor

Visit site
You mean lessons with Vicki?

I already have regular lessons with my own instructor but i've been looking out for clinics to take him to so I can get him out but away from the pressure of an actual competition (even though we compete every month and its not an issue). If not I might just rent out an indoor school and have a lesson away from home.

Suzy

Visit site
I am sure you will be asked what level you are working at and put into an appropriate group - but phone and check before you book.

I would definitely go for it. These clinics are run as a commercial enterprise, and I would be extremely surprised/disappointed if Vicki Thompson did anything but work with what she sees in front of her and give constructive advice (provided you've been honest about the level you are working at so that the excerises she gives the group are appropriate to you all).

Good luck and have fun.

BID

Visit site
Hi,

I went to one and never again. I felt that she was not at all interested in me or my horse and it was just a money making exercise. She was rude and abrupt and I learnt absolutely nothing from my session with her. I came away extremely dissapointed. I went as I was having problems with my horse's inconsistency in his outline which was losing us marks and was competing at novice level at the time but felt that we were beneath her even though I had explained my level and problem upon booking. I have also spoken to other people who have made the same coment so if you decide to go good luck.

vanessahook

Visit site
Dont want to completely hijack the post but i run dressage clinics not that far away from Oldencraig (Arrow Riding Centre, Darenth, Kent) and so far have had a really good response from people. I started organising them in response to people being disappointed by some of our other "top" riders! I use Jodie Lister who is absolutely fantastic and really makes a difference to people and approaches every horse and rider as an individual.
Everyone has an individual session and a percentage of the proceeds goes to the Riding for the Disabled so not just a money making exercsie!!!
I actually did work experience with Vicki and can also say from firsthand experience that she is not the most enthusiastic and forthcoming trainer!

ajb

Visit site
heard same as others..OC lovely competition venue and people that run the shows welcoming to all levels but the clinics..nah.. why not join the local riding club?? Im just about to join mine and they do clinics with Amy Stovold and Mark Ruddock which are supposed to be really good teachers..Vannessa could you PM the details of yours, im on surrey/Kent borders so dont think Arrow is that far from me...ta

cobweb

Visit site
I haven't had a lesson with Vicki Thompson, but have had several with Theresa Smyth who is based at Oldencraig. I've had a one-to-one on a dressage school horse, then several one-to-ones with my horse and some group jumping lessons. She's very good and patient and concentrated entirely on what I needed help and I really felt comfortable to ask questions and go at my own pace.