& vid* Awesome Arville CIC*** report!

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'm still bouncing!

Thursday we went to Arville, Belgium's biggest event and our most local, which is great as absolutely everyone comes to watch/cheer/party etc. I'd had a jumping lesson in the morning that went really well so we were in a buoyant mood anyway!

Friday I just hand-walked him a bit early on, then warmed up about 40 mins before his test, I'm doing more and more work with him as long and low as possible, until he's working very through like this, then I can pick him up and get nice work straight away. It rained whilst we warmed up:

DSCF0095.jpg

He lit up a little as we went over to the 10 min arena, but as you can see on the video was really with me as we went in and worked around the arena. He was really good in the test, the camber made the canter serpentine quite difficult, but other than that he was really regular, rideable, and got both changes. We just let ourselves down a bit in all three halts I feel, but other than that delighted with him.

He got 58.2 which left him exactly halfway, 24th out of the 47, and not too distant from the leaders in the 40s for once. It's the first time they've put on a 3* but the time has always been almost impossible in the 2* so I knew it was worth having a crack.

It wasn't the biggest 3* I've ever walked, but it's hilly, and there was enough to jump:

First question, fence four then three forward strides on a downhill curve to a big enough corner.
DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

Large log-drop at 6.
DSCF0113.jpg

Followed by a coffin at 7, and a turning combo at 8. Past these lovely ruins:
DSCF0117.jpg

Then the first water, big log in, bounce out up an angled step to hedge.
DSCF0119.jpg

10ab was a wall, slope down on three strides to arrowhead:
DSCF0122.jpg

Three straightforward fences followed, a gate, a haycart, and a lovely big bullfinch, then 14ab was a very nasty narrow turn into a skinny perched at the top of a big slope, down into the water and over a hippo:
DSCF0127.jpg

15ab was a massive open ditch, which you couldn't just wing into as four turning strides later there was a tiny triple brush:
DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

16 & 17 were two narrow houses in the trees on a related distance, 18 ab looked impossible from far out but rode on a nice two strides:
DSCF0134.jpg

19 was a breather, but preceded a 180 turn back to one of the biggest questions, a huge table then two turning, long strides to a massive corner:
DSCF0136.jpg

Two straightforward fences brought you home.

XC day he also warmed up well, and we set off in the sunshine and I had my old horse back :D. He at up 4, 5, 6 and the coffin at 7, and responded when I kicked on up the hill after those. 8a he backed off for some reason, but I just sat quiet and let him run right slightly to fit in 4 strides comfortably, then brilliant through the water, and just got suck in the mud a bit going up the next hill. He recovered really well and jumped 10ab like the pro he is (on the video):
DSCF0147.jpg

Sailed over the next three. He came back nicely for the turn into 14, then didn't back of the hill quite as much as I thought he would :eek:, but it all worked out fine (taken by a pupil of mine, not a pro!):

arville1.jpg

arville2.jpg

arville3.jpg

arville4.jpg

He was awesome over the ditch at the next, so awesome and unditchy I was left having to bulge our curve out a bit to fit in the 4 strides to the brush!

He flagged a little after this, we'd come home and now I was asking to him to gallop away from it again! He rallied and jumped the houses well, then locked on to a 1* fence facing away from us :eek:, but refocussed and jumped the double at 18 well, then at 20 steadied him to get our line, jumped the table well then I had to really kick to get the distance to the corner, I could see his front legs out in front of us!

Steamed home and for a long time had the fastest time, 37 seconds outside the optimum. He recovered really well, and seemed fine throughout the rest of the day when we took him for walks. The course and the time caused no end of problems, and we pulled up to 7th :D:D:D.

Trot up passed fine:
DSCF0167.jpg

The course again was not the biggest 3* track, but again the camber would come into play, particularly down the last related. He warmed up really well, and I could feel we were both in a good place. The whole round is on the vid but suffice to say we were CLEAR!!!!! He's never done better than 2 down at this level before, and has managed 7 at Haras du Pin last year! This pulled us up to 5th and it all got a bit emotional, and there's still soooo many "I love my horse" vibes in the air ;).

He had a great time in the prize giving, and here's a link to the video with highlights from the dr and xc, and the whole sj round and our lap of honour :cool:. http://www.madsen-equestrian.com/

Maiscene

Visit site
A very well done to you both and your team! Wow, Williams really come on, Bet you didn't forsee your Pony X doing all this those many years ago.....! Keep Going!!!! Hope to see you at next years Badminton. xx

Vetwrap

Visit site
Fantastic report and stunning photos. I honestly don't know how you have the courage to take on those fences! I guess that it is testament to the huge talent and trusting relationship that you and William both have.

Well done!

Willeeckers

Visit site
Amazing stuff :D

I knew you'd done well from a fb photo of you grinning ear to ear! So glad you posted a full report I love reading about you and Williams adventures :)

What next for you??

Rosiefan

Visit site
I can imagine how thrilled you must be - what a super team you two are, I feel quite misty eyed for you :). Haven't watched the vid yet but that table is gulp-provoking.
FANTASTIC xxx

Mince Pie

Visit site
Superb! Very well done and YAY! to having the 'old' William back :D

P.S I think you're mad personally - those fences are maHUsive!!! :eek:

Saucisson

Visit site
Brilliant! I was keeping an eye on the results website and saw you climb up - pity I couldn't get there though I did have reliable second-hand reports being phoned in ;)

Sounds like Mr T_E is just as chuffed :D

Bet you won't have time to give a novice (muppet :D) XC clinic at the moment will you?

TableDancer

Visit site
Massive well done on a fantastic result and such a HUGE improvement in the dressage and SJ (have to confess, haven't watched the vids :D but going on results alone!) Lovely lovely photos and a great report - roll on the next one :) Ooh, and lots of useful FEI points too :) :)

tigers_eye

Visit site
It really is amazing, he is still changing and developing, there are times when he is almost affectionate at the moment :eek::confused:! Someone rang to see if he was for sale today (I was told last winter he'd be a lot more attractive if he was breaking the 60 barrier and jumping clear ;)), I said no! Call me mad but I think putting him on the market last year may be what triggered his problems and I would say sadness late winter/early spring.

There is a lot of very exciting stuff going on in our lives at the moment, and he's worked hard already this Spring, so he'll have a few week's off/easy now, and we will aim to pick him back up for Pau.

As TD pointed out the 5th place will have also helped our quest for Badders 2013 :).

Saucisson, thanks for sending a delegation! Lets see, are you on holiday at the moment or still teaching?