+ Video: Clever Cruze does Dressage!

Lyle

Visit site
Recently, I've been in the throes of self doubt about my skill as a jumping rider. The beast and my self had a fright while schooling about 6 weeks back, and since then have just been pottering over grids to try and re-build my shattered confidence! So where should my competitive desires turn to? DRESSAGE! :p

I've finally found a dressage coach that I like; she is very classically trained, and focusses on improving the horse in body and mind. This suits Cruze to the ground, being a TB who is quite weak over the back, he needs lots of work! Plus I'm crooked as sin, but she is slowly straightening the way I sit out :eek:

So with all my eventing friends heading to the 'season warm-up' combined training comp, I packed myself, dressage friend, Cruze and lots of cake and savoury muffins into the truck and went the other direction. I had fabulous times, with the first test at 3.30 and the second at 4.10pm. I had entered the unofficial Prelim 1A and 1B, as Cruze isn't yet EA registered.

After a leisurely drive down we arrived at the most architecturally stunning property! It was an idyllic scene of post and rail fencing, gravel driveways and prancing warmbloods. I parked and we disembarked, with me feeling just a tad like a pleb!

Tacked up the lad, who was busy stuffing his face with clover hay, and sauntered over the warm up. Up until then, Cruze had been the picture of nonchalant efficiency, but the sight of a pony trundling around the warm up caused him to flip his lid. And the lovely black stallion cantering around finished the job! I hastily exited, and decided leg yielding up and down the drive-way was a sufficient 'naughty corner', and after ten minutes of that I had to enter the ring! Needless to say, it was pretty tense and awful, but I'm proud to say he didn't actually do anything naughty! So 58% and 5th place ;)

I decided he could be brave enough to do some work in the warm up, and he started to settle nicely and there were moments when I could actually 'ride' rather than try and be a pacifist! So entered for the second test feeling slightly more confident! I'm proud to say he did a nice test! Still a few mistakes, and not quite up to the standard I know he can do. He was a bit tense and rushy still.

Video taking forever to upload, so here are some stills!

attachment.php

attachment.php

So big pats and some treats for the good pony! Wandered over to collect the sheets, and nearly fell flat to see he had won that test, 74.8%! with second being on 61%! I had a sneaky peak at the official class scores, as it was judged by the same judge (my class followed straight on after the last official competitor) and that score would have had us first by a clear 3%! I know, the judge may have squeezed some extra marks out because she felt sorry for us plebs in unofficial, but I think I can safely say I would have places somewhere in that class!

attachment.php

So big smiles, pats and cake all round! Looks like I need to get him registered, and have a proper go at this dressage lark :cool: :D

Lyle

Visit site
Here's the video if anyone is interested :D

[video=youtube;SiW4Wltrg2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW4Wltrg2w&feature=share&list=UUDHYsuFhQ8wtrv6jF9kTI_w[/video]