Video fun Riding my friends horse up steps and over the bridge

Pedantic

Visit site
My own Po hurt his head in the field last xmas, my friend let me ride her horse while he recovered, I have been riding him twice a week since then, he's a total star
and goes anywhere my own Po goes, this was in the summer, been over the bridge today so thought I would post this summers video :)

My own Po is 14.2, Topps is about 16.1, so a bit higher up for me :)

https://youtu.be/zGJ8shpYAfo

TelH

Visit site
I went over a bridge similar to that once on a 14.2hh. Probably the scariest thing I have ever done on a horse! Next time I had to take the horse to the same place I put him in the trailer and drove round instead :D

hobo

Visit site
Lovely to have your video's back.

I would struggle to do a ride like that now, but in my youth with my first two ponies I lived near Heathrow and used to do bridges like that. I used to race the lorries going round the airport from the grass lane between the canals. I also used to take them to a field to see concorde take off, we let them graze and the vibrations would go through your stirrups.

Shady

Visit site
Love your video's and as always i am in awe of where you ride and how much the horses trust you and by the look of Po's ears , listen to you. I have to ride across an incredibly old low bridge with a raging weir below me and every time i get to the other side i start breathing again. I met a lorry once just as i was almost across and i don't mind admitting i was a tad shaky( nearly pooped myself in fear!) especially when he thought it was a good idea to blast his horn going by. I'm very lucky that i have a lovely horse but i'm not sure even he could match your Po or Topper. xx

Pedantic

Visit site
Makes me cringe. Wouldn't even want to do it and can't understand why anyone else would

If you look at my video's of the same ride from years back, then look at yesterdays ride, you will notice the continual cancer of build build build EVERYWHERE around us on land we used to ride on, this bridge wasn't even there a few years ago, and was a cinder track "everyone" used, look back at this bridge on my older vids to the right, then look to the right on this one as I go up the ramp, look at the MASSIVE MASSIVE EYESORE, now since this summer and yesterday there is even MORE building going on with massive construction, so, you either roll over and give up, or adapt and get on with it.

Oh yea, the other side of the bridge is the "bridleway" which ran to the cinder track, no prizes for guessing who didn't get catered for.

Last edited:

Fidgety

Visit site
You are totally insane :D, my stomach was somersaulting whilst I was watching that. I only went over one bridge over a dual carriage way once, and that was on an A road. And once was quite enough :D (I'd probably be daft enough to try steps though :)). Fabulous to watch your vids and see your pones listening to you and totally trusting you.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If you look at my video's of the same ride from years back, then look at yesterdays ride, you will notice the continual cancer of build build build EVERYWHERE around us on land we used to ride on, this bridge wasn't even there a few years ago, and was a cinder track "everyone" used, look back at this bridge on my older vids to the right, then look to the right on this one as I go up the ramp, look at the MASSIVE MASSIVE EYESORE, now since this summer and yesterday there is even MORE building going on with massive construction, so, you either roll over and give up, or adapt and get on with it.

Oh yea, the other side of the bridge is the "bridleway" which ran to the cinder track, no prizes for guessing who didn't get catered for.

Surely you could move your horse to somewhere more appropriate? If you live in a city you quite often have to drive a fair distance to a yard. I live on the outskirts of a town and drive 8 miles to my yard. Hes moving tomorrow to one 11 miles away as I want safer and better hacking, so its worth the extra travel.

madamebonnie

Visit site
Last Spring I went over a motorway bridge that was over 10 (!!!) lanes of the M60. I was cr*pping myself but just proved my point that although a total wimp on his own, George will follow anyone through anything, over anything, past anything. We had a very good horse and rider leading us.

Made my stomach turn more though when passing underneath it in the car seeing how low it is! Felt a lot higher!

limestonelil

Visit site
Oh goodness what a video - made me feel a bit queasy just watching it, let alone being on Topper well above the height of the 'safety' rails. Love your get on with it approach to the building situation.

tatty_v

Visit site
What a good boy! One of our old hacks used to involve going through a tunnel under the West Coast Mainline railway (best to check for trains first and then scoot through asap!) and a bridge over the M1. Our horses were always fab about it. We also used to ride in the fields around Silverstone racetrack and sometimes race the cars on practice days!

GTRJazz

Visit site
Need to take care you could be exceeding the design weight of the bridge you are on a horse what they call a point load, where the bridge could take your weigh may times over as a evenly distributed load it could fail as all the weight is in the same spot.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im sorry but once you started to cross the road I had to switch off! Ive taken Muds over a dual carriageway here in MK, but the bridge connects 2 sides of a bridleway and is as wide as its long, even then I stuck to the middle.When I was about 16 I rode my old gypsy cob across the local acquduct, gawd knows how I managed it as these days it makes my queasy even on foot! We're the same in Milton Keynes, even 50 years on if you close your eyes for 5 minutes someone will build something new where there used to be a field, the good thing here though is that bridleways have been included in the plan so although some of our riding is more urban than it used to be, it most cases it is safe!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've missed your posts Pedantic!

I always admire your get on with it attitude to where you ride, and Topper's attitude is lovely. I think all of our riding has changed dramatically in the last twenty years, and I avoid roads at all costs these days (bar one tiny short bit of link road) but then I am lucky enough to be able to. Yours has undergone an extreme change :(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You must be very confident, and your horse very trusting in you, to go over such a long footbridge so calmly! Well done!

We have a couple of bridges over railways, with a pretty clear view so we can time crossing to avoid being on the bridge as a train comes thundering through.

For one bridge, I think we could cross with a train below, because the bridge sides are solid concrete walls. But the other bridge has railings like that footbridge over the motorway, and I'm told it shakes as a train goes through.

We also have some tunnels that go under motorways, dual carriageways and railways; I much prefer those.

willhegofirst

Visit site
I used to ride by old lad over a motorway bridge, it was a road bridge but not very wide, there was a stallion in a field on the far side, he used to grab the fence posts and double barrel parallel to the fence, scared the be Jesus out of me. Wouldn't do it with the horse I have now.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My pony goes over lots of bridges no problem, however if it is narrow with low sides I have to hold on to the saddle as I feel I'm going to fall. Pony must think I've gone daft, he doesn't care.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My pony goes over lots of bridges no problem, however if it is narrow with low sides I have to hold on to the saddle as I feel I'm going to fall. Pony must think I've gone daft, he doesn't care.

^^this!

I've been on yards where narrow bridges or motorway bridges were kind of essential if you wanted to go hacking (though the rest of the hacking was quiet). I HATED it but horse never batted an eye ;) You've got some good mounts, OP.