Video nasty revisited cc welcome

Vindaloo

Visit site
I don't suppose anyone will remember the video nasty I posted absolutely ages ago but I've decided to don brave pants and post another.

This is a fairly typical schooling session and all cc is welcome. I'm not at all delicate and you can dish the dirt on me as much as you like as much as you like. I need all the help I can get.

I can see my faults pretty clearly, nodding head, leaning back etc but I am sure there are loads more I'm not seeing.

Vid not great quality since my computer is shot to bits so I played the vid on the tv and videoed it from my iPad. I'd advise turning the sound down.

I have tried to ride into a more consistent contact, as many of you advised last time and spurs are off, just personal preference. He will duck btv so am working on that, again, help, tips would be lovely.

Thanks in advance.

V.

Ps, only just starting rein back so very, very dodgy.

siennamum

Visit site
He has got lovely paces, but since you asked I would comment that it all looks rather strained, and stiff. He looks like he would like to move forwards a bit more freely but you are braced against him. It is telling that he has a constant head tilt, it would be nice to see your hands softer, perhaps you are riding this way in response to earlier criticism which I missed. It looks like with a couple of tweaks it could be lovely, do you get much chance to compete over there?

caterpillar

Visit site
Gorgeous horse and you ride him well but ditto siennamum, you look a little braced against him and restricting him moving forwards.

The birds in the background are just wonderful, very exotic!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Siennamum, I totally agree. I seem to have gone from a way too allowing rein to a far too constricting one. Gah. Definitely am trying to shorten my reins since that was the biggest critisicm last time. However, now I feel that I am holding him up and he is getting all short in the neck.

Have been playing with give and retake a lot, he stays in a similar outline but I'd like him to reach a bit. He's been in draw reins and with a pretty heavy handed chap prior to me having him. In loose rein walk he really stretches down but in trot it's almost like he says I'll do stretchy on a loose contact but the moment you take a contact I'll get upset and hold myself here.

Should I loosen my reins more? Is my bracing indicative of my leaning back and therefore alleviated if I were to sit more upright? I was given that advice and knuckled down to sitting on all three points of the seat. It felt better but will get oh to vid again and post to see if you agree. He did feel more forward and I definitely didn't nod my blooming head apparently but will be interesting to see.

No chance to compete sadly. However, the cavalry are threatening to do something in Nov, if they do, I will definitely have a go.

Thanks for replying. V.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Gorgeous horse and you ride him well but ditto siennamum, you look a little braced against him and restricting him moving forwards.

The birds in the background are just wonderful, very exotic!

Thanks caterpillar, the birds are great aren't they? Mind you, when they arrive in a great flock the noise is deafening and can be a touch off putting. They scrap around on the floor having amazing fights, lord knows how I've not killed a few. When I first bought Casper he found it the very best excuse to dance on two legs!

He doesn't bat an eyelid nowadays thank goodness.

Luci07

Visit site
Sorry....couldn't get past...the..... dry sand.....and birds singing....I think you just posted that to show off to those of us who are STILL having to wear waterproofs and face mud...in July!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Sorry....couldn't get past...the..... dry sand.....and birds singing....I think you just posted that to show off to those of us who are STILL having to wear waterproofs and face mud...in July!

Ha Luci07, the monsoon has arrived so I cannot be such a smug git. It's not all good here I promise, it was approx 38 degrees when that was taken at 7.00am, it hit 43 later that day.

Much as it might look idyllic, believe me, it is like riding in a blooming sauna. I look like I've had a shower fully clothed after riding. Not nice at all.

That said, I totally sympathise with you all having to cope with such horrendous weather this year.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I don't usually do CC but have been CC-ing myself on video and analysing the strengthens and weaknesses in others who my RI teaches.

Here's my novicey attempt at CC :D

Your rein contact looks very forceful and you look as if you are constantly bracing against againt your horse, I think this is what causes to to lean back at the start of the clip.

I've been taught that implusion from behind and a soft almost yeilding contact is what I should aim for, however I realise that some people prefer/are taught to have a much heavier contact.

At times it also looks as if you are using too much inside rein contact to keep your horse on a circle.

Do you know if you're are slightly crooked/stiff or much stronger on one side than the other or if your horse is? I'm only asking as you could be using your inside rein to compensate for this.

Your riding is a million miles in front of mine and I'm very envious of your near perfect position and also of your horses lovely paces so I probably shouldn't be offering CC at all :eek:

Last edited:

Vindaloo

Visit site
Hi tabithaKat, thanks for looking at us. I agree with your comments absolutely, in the beginning we were attempting rein back but apart from that can see what you mean about the contact. Last time I posted I was having him on a way too loose rein, same as you, always aim for a soft giving contact but now I seem to have gone the other way.

I may well be stronger on one side and for sure, I do have to work harder when on right rein to stop his quarters from coming in. No doubt this is due to my one sidedness.

There are no trainers out here to speak of, I have the yo who is a show jumper and helps when he can but his style of riding and mine really are quite different, so, popping a vid on here and getting help and advice from you lovely people is a real help.

Thank you for your lovely comments, Near perfect position??? I think I might just love you a little bit