VIDEO what could be causing the mini bronk

jessikaGinger

Visit site
I have attached a vid below (hopefully) of my mare being lunged today

(excuse the bad lunging i was asking for canter quickly to catch it in the vid)

basically my mare started trying to get me off a while back, felt around and she was sore in her hind, que vet & bute + box rest = still no better!!
now she's had bloods taken & waiting for results
i have spoken to a few people & am now considering a physio (any one heard of Dani Paizis)
She bucks mainly on one rein, but when im on her back its unpredictable
Vet suggested maybe KS :(

Any ideas?

jessikaGinger

Visit site
Also i tried her without tack, no bronking
Without stirrups clattering she still bronked

She did have a brand new fitted saddle a few months ago which i rode her in for a good while with no problems!

LouS

Visit site
That's definitely a pony saying ouch!

Sorry I'm not sure I understood fully, is she not lame now?

I would get a good chiropractor out if vet thinks its a good idea then take it from there. Mine is very good and can pinpoint where problems are coming from so its helpful to the vet to have their report if we then decide it needs investigating further from a veterinary point of view.

What does your vet think though? I'd get her back x-rayed to rule out kissing spine, then go from there, get a proper lameness work up etc.

loverly

Visit site
If your vet thinks it's KS I would get the vet to x-ray the spine asap to find out if it is or not. Then you can work out where to go form there rather than speculate as to what's wrong.

I haven't seen the video as for some reason it won't load. But the symptoms sound exactly the same as a horse I had with KS as Proximal Suspensory Injury.

jessikaGinger

Visit site
Trotting up she isn't lame at all ( vet did the whole hold leg up then trot off )

he has given me bute to give her twice daily but shes had it for 3days now and that's still how she reacts

hopefully she will have x-rays when bloods come back

jessikaGinger

Visit site
If i lunge her without tack she doesn't bronk as much but still throws in a buck, today is the first time she has had a saddle on in a month and her back is still sore to touch

Vet seemed a bit miffed so once the bloods are back we will go from there

i have no experience with KS what should i expect if it is?

Kiristamm

Visit site
Also i tried her without tack, no bronking
Without stirrups clattering she still bronked

She did have a brand new fitted saddle a few months ago which i rode her in for a good while with no problems!

I'd get the saddle checked again, I was told by my saddler that with new saddles they need to be checked 3 months after the initial fitting as the flocking settles and needs checking and re-fitting.

Having just watched the video again the saddle doesn't sit perfectly.

Last edited:

horsemadelsie

Visit site
My boy started doing a rodeo impression when ridden and on the lunge, it just got worse. Had a back person out and basically he'd slipped over in the field and put his back end out- one session and he seems completely fine- just a follow up session in 2-3 months. If your vets give permission then I would definitely get someone out to look at her back, and they will also be able to tell you if the saddle is causing the problem or not. Good luck! :)

maisie06

Visit site
I'd get that saddle checked, it doesn't look right at all. It's bouncing on her back and seems very tight over the withers and too far forwards. Is it a wintec?? Looks like it judging by the fit, I found they are terrible on the wider horses, they slide forwards and tip.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry just had quick look but that saddle is way too far forward? Have you ridden her like that? That is one forgiving mare.

Get the saddler out again, no get a different saddler. If you suspect back issues, vet and X-rays pdq.

dumpling

Visit site
Saddle doesn't look right at all.

I get the feeling she's sore through he back. She looks very tense through her back.

jessikaGinger

Visit site
Wintec it is:(
I wanted a leather but apparantly 'that's all that fit her correctly' she's in an X-wide aswel!
i must add she rolled in it before the vid was taken hence why it had moved (it's her party trick)

Can anyone recc a saddle fitter in yorkshire, i nused R&R for that one!

pixiebee

Visit site
I'd get the saddle checked again, I was told by my saddler that with new saddles they need to be checked 3 months after the initial fitting as the flocking settles and needs checking and re-fitting.

Having just watched the video again the saddle doesn't sit perfectly.

was about to say this, saddle looks to sit up off herback so when riding especially, it will bang up and down off her back.

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
Wintec it is:(
I wanted a leather but apparantly 'that's all that fit her correctly' she's in an X-wide aswel!
i must add she rolled in it before the vid was taken hence why it had moved (it's her party trick)

Can anyone recc a saddle fitter in yorkshire, i nused R&R for that one!

If she's rolled in it, that could be what's changed the saddle, she may have broken it :eek: it does look very uncomfortable for her though.

Tickles

Visit site
TBH any saddle that has been rolled in probably needs checking. Might be an idea to get another, (qualified and, ideally, recommended), saddler out too...

Once she has had the 'OK' from vet and any back person/massage type they recommend.

indiat

Visit site
I agree with all the advice about tack and would urge you to get a good chiro out as well. My daughter's pony started bucking with her recently but it wasn't consistent behaviour (ie. he'd stop if she drove him on, buck going into canter or if simply asked to go into the arena, other days no bucking at all). It was driving me crazy and I started going through all the checks, slooowly as I had to wait on apointments. Our riding instructor was convinced it was temper as he was so calm about the bucking. But the chiro, who we use a lot, found his jaw was out of alignment. He must have given himself a right whack falling in the field in all the wet we were having lately. Poor little guy had deep muscle bruising and must have had an awful headache. She rode him again on Friday and he is back to being his angelic self! Sometimes, pain isn't obvious. I know it sounds tedious when people advise teeth, back and tack check but it is the most thorough way to get to the bottom of a problem. In our case, it really looked like a naughty pony taking advantage of a child rider but because we have had him a year with no problems it was a red flag that something was wrong, somewhere. I assumed that as he was showing no signs of having a bad back and the saddle was given the all clear it couldn't be pain. How wrong I was!

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Certainly looks as if she is in pain. However, just a thought, have you been pulling her up and turning her in when you feel she may be in pain? I just wonder if she has a learned behaviour now where she knows she can play up and be pulled in?

Leah3horses

Visit site
As well as the saddle /back check,would you say she is a hormonal mare, or 'mareish' at all? Just that my big mare had a furious episode of broncking out of the blue and the only physical issue that came up after all the basic checks was pain in her ovarian area during a strong season. This can affect mares badly,and causes extra pain when ridden. My mare is back to normal now, her seasons are milder as the summer goes on, but will watch out for this next Spring..due to the weather a lot of mares seasons are out of sync this year, so could be another thing to assess. Good luck with her, she is only trying to tell you something hurts in or around her back, really hope it's not KS. What with the saddle/back issue and possible painful 'lady equipment', she should be ok in a couple more months hopefully

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
Poor girl needs her back looking at ASAP, I would sort her back out first then the saddle, def would not be using it on her until both she and it has been looked at. Good luck.

Tammytoo

Visit site
I've heard very good reports about Dani Paisiz. From the video I would say that she is telling you very strongly that she is not happy. The saddle looks all wrong and too far forward as well.

An R & R fitter sold my friend a synthetic saddle and fitted it completely wrong, too small and wrong size gullet - we got the impression she was more interested in a sale. I would get your physio to look at the fit of the saddle. If the tree has been broken when it was rolled in, it will be causing pain.

I would get an independent remedial saddle fitter, rather than a shop employed fitter.

Did your vet x.ray her back? If it was KS that is the ONLY way it can be confirmed.

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
To me it seems little to do with the saddle but when you ask her to canter she can't seem to strike off becomes totally disunited and therefore bucks if it were the saddle why not in trot? It may not fit that well but without a rider on it it can hardly be that uncomfortable. As to the cause who knows if you say you vet has ruled out obvious lameness but SI injury springs to mind.

Anyway hope you solve the problem :)