Videos: Lameness? :(

Moomin1

Visit site
I would say the lunging doesn't show anything obvious at all really, but she does look lame on the off fore on the trot up. It's not ideal to trot up on a school surface though - needs to be on hard ground to be able to properly assess it.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

jools123

Visit site
That's a lot of money to throw away if she's pulled a muscle AmyMay! I know I sound stingy and if I feel she needs a vet she'll see one, but if I pay for a vet now I won't have any money for her hay for the winter.

from most of the feedback on here you are being told your horse does not look right but it is difficult to tell where the problem is coming from due to the videos for various reasons.

your options;
1, get someone with knowledge to look at her if there is no-one get the vet.
2, ignore a potential problem that may or may not go away
3, keep asking people on here who cannot really see what is going on but will give advice anyway
4, box rest her and look at her in a week, month, year and still not be sure if she is sound so get a vet out after feeding all the hay you would have given her in the winter and pay for vet and hay

i know what i would be doing in your situation

Moomin1

Visit site
Tbh, Cedars, if you're worried - don't waste time with a video. Just call your vet.

Just read that this happened last Sunday.

Op I would be getting the vet by now if you are still worried. Not having money for hay in winter is not a reason not to be getting a vet out now. I see where you are coming from saying you don't want to spend the money if it's not necessary, but if it was my horse I would def say it's necessary if she was lame for 5 days.

Keep us posted.

Cedars

Visit site
Hiya,

Just a quick update-my instructor and I have had a look at her again today.

She is definitely MUCH better, 'not bad at all'. She still looks short on that off hind, but she's better, and she's also just come massively into season so that may be a reason.

Either way, I'm going to have her out again tomorrow for a leg stretch but I think we're on the right track :)

Madam_max

Visit site
To be honest she looks ok to me. Hard to tell though as she's on such a small circle and not going forwards. Try lunge her on the end if the line and make her go forwards.

Bigbenji

Visit site
Ahh only a bub. Is she still a bit unbalanced anyway?

I did think that she wasn't tracking through on her off hind looking at the videos. Just seen that you said she looked a bit better.

If your not too worried then I'd do what your doing and keep her quiet and see if there is improvement each day. Don't put her on the lunge for a bit tho. If she's still not right after a period of rest then defo get the vet in case there is something deep rooted.

Hope she's better soon.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Something not right in front in opinion. The videos of her going round in tight circles on the end of a leadrope were not helpful & probably not very comfortable for the horse. Hopefully its nothing serious and your vet gets to the root of the problem asap.

ps. and i agree wth Moomin, school surface is not the place for trotting up. Much better to see her on a hard level surface :)

mcnaughty

Visit site
Sorry, all I see is a very unbalanced baby. I really think that a trot on a hard surface or even a field would be better than the menage and she is so irratic in her paces that it is near on impossible to tell. If she is only 3, I would turn her away for a few weeks and then see again later.

She is obviously not crippled so the vet can wait ;-)

Cedars

Visit site
Thanks guys, as I said before, our roads and fields are on the sides of a valley-we don't have any flat solid surface to trot her up on-the school will have to do!

I can still count on my hands the number of times I've sat on her-she really is only just backed and very babyish still-but she's only 3.

Not in a rush to get the vet out as she's definitely improved so will look at her again next weekend.