& *vids* Brand Hall BE Novice (and BE90) reports post Louisem lessons

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
First thread and competition report from me. Have had intentions for some time but have not followed through :eek:. Having met several HHO people in RL and found them (and their horses) lovely, thought should get on with it.

I think this a great resource and have gained a huge amount over the past two years of lurking from which XC boots /stud girth /saddle to how to tackle suspected gastric ulcers (big thank you again to Spotted Cat and also to Tempi more recently) and various other ailments and of course the fantastic lessons with Louisem at Alex’s (EliteSportHorses) lovely yard. Plus I really enjoy reading everyone’s competition reports. All reasons for me to put something back in ;).

On Monday we were all very tired as you can see (even those who didn’t go anywhere) ;):

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/72791647/1/Lying%20down%20040612?h=cff663

On Saturday I did mine and Milli’s (grey horse with rug above) first BE Novice. She did the BE90 there last year and has been awesome XC since starting her off with BE last year. The SJ has been her weakness (well dressage is her major weakness...:p). Milli did try BE at seven but was going through a very nappy phase at the time and then my work intervened for several years. We’ve had alot of training, dressage and jumping over the past 12-18 months and we’ve picked up much useful information /techniques (and discarded the not so useful). I bought Milli at 10 months old, bred a foal from her aged four, she was good at 5 and 6, lost her way a bit at 7, I was working too much for the next 3 years, got going again at 10 with a few ups and downs and she came right last year at a (young) 12 :rolleyes:.

I will spare you our dressage – it is heading in the right direction but at quite a slow rate (in a test situation which I realise must be (at least!) partly due to me). We got 46.5 and nice comments about Milli as we always do (she has big ears that she points forwards throughout -hence generally getting a ‘willing horse’ type comment :cool:).

Our SJ round is below. I am doing too much over the fences which is one of my (many) weaknesses but it felt fantastic and am very happy with the progress we have made over the past 12 months and how she is thoroughly enjoying her SJ :D. I tried to apply our learning from Louise in the warm-up and during the round and felt that the round had quite a good rhythm and Milli was giving the fences some height (her weakness which I exacerbate is getting long and flat). She rolled a pole coming out of the double of verticals which is uncharacteristic for her as she usually jumps out of doubles well. But was pleased with 4 faults as the SJ seemed to cause q a few problems. She does seem to prefer the challenge of bigger fences and makes some more power available (she got 16 faults at Somerford in our first event this season, in the BE90 after schooling beautifully around approx 1.2m course at an EHOA clinic the previous week...she was a bit too happy to be back out eventing...:rolleyes:)

http://youtu.be/7i9UvxueDKM

Onto XC, Milli’s strength...up to now! Overall, wasn’t worried about any specific fences after walking the course. She gives me so much confidence XC, attacking her fences whilst staying really rideable. So just kept reminding myself that Milli is good XC and to ride her properly. She felt awesome :D:D:cool:! Love her XC, is the best feeling, she is so good at figuring out problems and so confident about tackling them. There were several combinations and she made them all feel very easy. The bigger fences seemed to wake her up and as soon as she jumped a fence, she was looking for the next one. Delighted with her. Three videos below, first of a barrel treble combination and then through the water; second jumping out over the trakehner and then two tables and a ‘bed’; third is over the last fence.

http://youtu.be/qnKPAhfDrkM
http://youtu.be/ssRBA5XazbM
http://youtu.be/bkpL5kxHR9w

We got 14 time faults, I let her set the pace and slowed around bends as the grass was quite wet so know we can go quicker. The objective was to give her a fun, confident round that felt easy to her. She was barely sweating at the end and she had recovered before we reached the horsebox. We ended up on 64.5 which placed us 18th. So pleased with how easy it felt and how much fun we had. So pleased to have had this experience with Milli, have been close to giving up with her in the past. She has become a professional over the past 12 months, switching off as soon as we return to the horsebox, switching back on as soon as I get back on her. She is a pleasure to event and compensates for her grumpy behaviour all the time she isn’t eventing! Milli is a very focussed horse who does not suffer fools and I take it as a huge compliment that she trusts me as a partner :).

Onto Sunday...and the BE90 with Milli’s daughter Ledo (Bay horse with rug in lying down photo). The past 18months have been a rollercoaster with Ledo. She started off great after being backed late around 5 and taken slowly as she was tall and weak. Completed a BE80T and BE90 in 2010 and she felt and looked great. Started off well again at BE90 in 2011, tried moving up to BE100 and SJ was easy but we ran into serious napping problems XC :confused:. She earned the nickname Sicknote over the next 12 months as we looked for and found numerous ailments and problems which were treated. After building her up again slowly this year to test whether the XC napping had been resolved, she did Kelsall Hill BE90 in April and did a good double clear :D. A couple of minor naps XC but nowhere near fences and she thoroughly enjoyed her XC jumping. Onto Brand Hall.

Again, will spare you our Dressage – is heading in the right direction but similar comments apply. We got 46 (at least I’m consistent across horses and classes) :eek:.

Sunday was not a nice weather day, it rained pretty constantly and the SJ warm-up turned to a mud slick :(. The SJ course held up pretty well but the ground seemed to be holding the horses in front of the fences. There were many faults being accrued. We did the minimum warm-up due to the conditions and went in. Ledo likes her SJ, she always feels like she grows a little when we go in the SJ ring. Due to how the horses appeared to be jumping, I rode her forward to keep her confident and compensate for the ground holding her, whilst still trying to maintain a rhythm. She was very good and honest and jumped clear :D. There are a couple of minor displays of her 'spirit' but she keeps going forward :). Video below:

http://youtu.be/7li9N_6IpoE

Onto XC, ground looked much better on the XC course and I considered that it was the BE90 and that if we were there for schooling, it certainly would not concern me. The course rode really well and was very pleased with Ledo, we had a short nap half way between 1 and 2 (half hearted) and then she flew the rest :D. Made sure to balance her on the turns as falling over with Sicknote would undo many (many...many) months work.... Couple of XC videos below, first coming round and through the water and second jumping the ‘bed’.

http://youtu.be/F2KaYT-4iHE
http://youtu.be/76Od0LXb4nc

So, delighted with Ledo to achieve a second double clear this year. Particularly as she hates wind, rain and mud which were all much in evidence. We picked up 3.2 time faults which is very unusual for Ledo, she is usually >15 seconds inside the time without pushing. Milli picked up several time faults at Brand Hall BE90 last year which is also very unusual so think the (quite) twisty course and restricted galloping sections make it a bit tighter than normal. Ledo recovered very quickly and barely sweated all day, but it was freezing! Several withdrew before SJ in the BE90 and there were many faults SJ so we ended up 12th which is our best placing so far, despite an atrocious dressage mark. Ledo is a happy horse again which makes me happy :D:D;).

So very, very happy with both horses and that I helped rather than hindered. Big thank you to OH (ace videographer, lorry driver, and anything else that needs doing) and friend who helped me on Sat and came with us with her horse on Sun in the BE90. She also went double clear at her (and horse’s) very first BE event :D. Her horse has only SJ (to Newcomers /1.15 Open) before and has taken to XC really well. So was an excellent weekend despite getting so cold and wet on Sunday! Really like the Brand Hall event, conditions were tough on Sunday and must have been horrible for all the volunteers so thank you very much for being cheerful and helpful throughout :).

Thanks for reading, it did end up pretty long....

star

Visit site
great report. they both look like lovely horses and great results for both of them :D Do you have exceedingly long legs or is that just the video playing tricks? I assume both horses are bigger than 14.2hh!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
YAY! welcome and a great report to start off
love the look of Milli .. very keen
Thank you very much, I love Milli (now!) too. Just taken her for a 'supposedly' gentle hack after the weekend. She remains wired (only when got on - still a donkey the rest of the time) & wanting to gallop & jump - very unlike her so she seems to be still replaying Sat in her mind (she used to do this after hunting) ;). Have enjoyed reading your reports over the past year.

great report. they both look like lovely horses and great results for both of them Do you have exceedingly long legs or is that just the video playing tricks? I assume both horses are bigger than 14.2hh!

Thanks very much Star, have really enjoyed reading about your orange boys - you seem to have a great bond with them. Yes I have extremely long legs (37" inside leg). I have my stirrups on the top hole for jumping but I think I need shorter leathers or more holes as still look long on videos :confused: (I have been making my stirrups shorter & shorter over the past 12 months). Both horses are over 17hh but nobody thinks that until they stand next to them...:eek:

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Well done! I was there doing the CIC* and actually saw your Mare's name(unknowingly) in the programme because I liked her Name and knew a horse by her sire! Small world. I didn't really look at the Novice course but the fences we shared were decent XC, so well done especially for your first.

It's a lovely event isn't it? I'd never been before :)

woodlandswow

Visit site
thanks - ditto - havnt done anything for nearly 9 months (eugghh when you say it like that it sounds horrid)
due to the dreaded glandular fever and A2's! - lurvellly combination..

they are aalll over in 3 weeks time and CANT WAIT to get eventing again..... (literally counting the days.. (25 days. ahem..sorry.. waht?)

sorry to hijack a bit.. i will drool over your threads while revising.. :)
keep em coming :D

HowenEdward

Visit site
Over 17hh??!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can see what you mean in the SJ videos- your hands seem to seesaw although its far better on the lower heights. I would like to see the dressage, it can't have been that bad??!!

Overall a good day by the looks of it :D

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Well done! I was there doing the CIC* and actually saw your Mare's name(unknowingly) in the programme because I liked her Name and knew a horse by her sire! Small world. I didn't really look at the Novice course but the fences we shared were decent XC, so well done especially for your first.

It's a lovely event isn't it? I'd never been before :)

Thanks very much, love your reports and watching the wonderful Tam. It is a small world. Thought I was q clever when came up with Milli Watt with her sire being Zero Watt. Hope you went well too & was worth the trip :). Am very pleased as from looking at other Novice courses, it seemed representative, so looking forward to doing more!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
thanks - ditto - havnt done anything for nearly 9 months (eugghh when you say it like that it sounds horrid)
due to the dreaded glandular fever and A2's! - lurvellly combination..

they are aalll over in 3 weeks time and CANT WAIT to get eventing again..... (literally counting the days.. (25 days. ahem..sorry.. waht?)

sorry to hijack a bit.. i will drool over your threads while revising.. :)
keep em coming :D

Don't envy your combination :eek::eek: 3 weeks will fly! :D Will try to pluck up courage to report again ;)!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
fab report and brilliant results with both of them! well done! :D

Thanks very much, I hope you are having a better time. Believe you had some difficulties over past 6-12 months if am remembering correctly? Am familiar with difficult times but it does make the good days better:).

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Over 17hh??!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can see what you mean in the SJ videos- your hands seem to seesaw although its far better on the lower heights. I would like to see the dressage, it can't have been that bad??!!

Overall a good day by the looks of it :D

Thanks. I am happy with our Dressage as I can put into context. It is still at the 'confessional' stage where I share openly with family, friends & trainers...:eek: Is a few yrs since competed SJ over 1.2m regularly & you do get a bit rusty & forget that it is the horse that actually jumps!:D..but that is what good trainers are for! ;) We'll get there...;)

TableDancer

Visit site
I tried to reply earlier but pooter seems to have eaten it :mad: Fab first report, and well done on a couple of solid runs :) We were there all weekend for the ponies - the weather wasn't too bad on Saturday, but my goodness it was foul on Sunday wasn't it?! The going in the SJ was very slidey, some of them really struggled, and during the (rather long) prize-giving both ponies and children were shivering :(

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
I tried to reply earlier but pooter seems to have eaten it :mad: Fab first report, and well done on a couple of solid runs :) We were there all weekend for the ponies - the weather wasn't too bad on Saturday, but my goodness it was foul on Sunday wasn't it?! The going in the SJ was very slidey, some of them really struggled, and during the (rather long) prize-giving both ponies and children were shivering :(

Thanks v much TD, I confess that I drafted the report in Word first so I had a back-up in case it went awry online! :eek: Yes, was q happy with the weather Sat as Milli does not like heat (she q likes rain & mud ;), did I mention she came from Ireland - like my family :)(!)) & the ground was great SJ & XC. Sun was bad, probably one of the worst we've had at an outdoor 'Summer' competition as it was unrelenting. Hope your ponies went well, we heard the music for the prize giving as we battled through the driving rain to the portaloos on arrival!:rolleyes: So can well imagine that standing still for any time would have caused chilling for all involved. Just a good job the horses went well or we would have wondered why we bothered ;).

louisem

Visit site
Purely on your videos of the showjumping,I can see that you are well on your way to finally being able to ENJOY both your lovely horses. They are both a little 'quirky' but have MASSES of scope and because you have taken time to 'know' them both,you are becoming a great combination with them!
With Milli,though,you are still inclined to be busy with your upper body and she finds this distracting,as,for such a big,powerful horse she is very sensitive,so try and take that into consideration,especially in the ring where all senses are particularly heightened...
Ledo has improved so much since the video you sent me before the clinic! She has become more neat and consistent in her technique and I'm so pleased to see you sympathetically 'ignoring' her little bunny-hops,I really think it's a sort of frustration from her when she gets ahead of herself in her enthusiasm, then slightly loses her balance...
Looking forward to your next report,good luck!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Purely on your videos of the showjumping,I can see that you are well on your way to finally being able to ENJOY both your lovely horses. They are both a little 'quirky' but have MASSES of scope and because you have taken time to 'know' them both,you are becoming a great combination with them!
With Milli,though,you are still inclined to be busy with your upper body and she finds this distracting,as,for such a big,powerful horse she is very sensitive,so try and take that into consideration,especially in the ring where all senses are particularly heightened...
Ledo has improved so much since the video you sent me before the clinic! She has become more neat and consistent in her technique and I'm so pleased to see you sympathetically 'ignoring' her little bunny-hops,I really think it's a sort of frustration from her when she gets ahead of herself in her enthusiasm, then slightly loses her balance...
Looking forward to your next report,good luck!

Thanks v much for watching Louise & for your reply. Totally agree with you, I need to calm down & let Milli do her job. We'll keep working at it - was q surprised when watched video which is why it is so useful to do. I think their 'sensitivity' is the reason for our interesting & circuitous path to where we are now but it does also make them alot of fun :) & is v rewarding when I do get onto their wavelength.

Yes, you've got Ledo sussed as well - why am I not surprised? :) She does get frustrated with herself more than anything & hates being unbalanced & /or doing anything wrong. She requires much more strenghtening work, which will hopefully lead to further improvement all round. Now she is healthy & happy, it makes training much easier & progressive. I may get the hang of this reporting! ;)