Viewing a 2nd hand equitrek- what to look for?

TPO

Visit site
Planning to view an equitrek show treka and I know that equitrek dont have a good reputation.

I'm waiting on seller confirming age but it's an older model.

Ideally if it appears suitable will try and get the trailer servicing man to do a pre purchase on it but I know that he is extremely busy so that might not be possible.

Apart from the obvious chassis, floor and panels what else should I look out for?

Thanks

McFluff

Visit site
I have a 2008 show trekka. And to be fair, for a trailer that’s done a lot (previous owners did a lot with it), it’s not in bad nick.
where I (or rather my service person) keep an eye on:
chassis and floor in horse part has never been an issue - but the floor in the living is going to need replaced soon
im still on original wheels, but have replaced tyres, brakes etc
I’ve just had to replace the tow hitch and have just had electrics redone, replacing with LED.
the biggest issue I’ve had has been with the side of the trailer. it just wasn’t sealed properly at the wheel arches, so the panel was going soft. I got a local horsebox builder to make me a new side. And seal it all properly. I replaced the ramp at the same time. I was told it was age rather than design as the issue with the ramp.

all in, it has been a good trailer. Tows nicely, holds all my gear, somewhere to shelter/change. Horses have all travelled well in it. The people I’ve had work on it have all admired the design, but just feel it’s the finishing touches that let it down. So (along with the usual safety checks) look for water ingress around the edges of panels, so you know what you’ll need to replace in the future!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Here’s a random googled image but shows all the classic signs of ingress and soft panels if you blow up the photo- you can see the rust stains and the bulging around the fixings

Attachments

• 11E215DA-E7D1-4BED-A57E-094876567111.jpeg
    11E215DA-E7D1-4BED-A57E-094876567111.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 62

phizz4

Visit site
I have a 2008 show trekka. And to be fair, for a trailer that’s done a lot (previous owners did a lot with it), it’s not in bad nick.
where I (or rather my service person) keep an eye on:
chassis and floor in horse part has never been an issue - but the floor in the living is going to need replaced soon
im still on original wheels, but have replaced tyres, brakes etc
I’ve just had to replace the tow hitch and have just had electrics redone, replacing with LED.
the biggest issue I’ve had has been with the side of the trailer. it just wasn’t sealed properly at the wheel arches, so the panel was going soft. I got a local horsebox builder to make me a new side. And seal it all properly. I replaced the ramp at the same time. I was told it was age rather than design as the issue with the ramp.

all in, it has been a good trailer. Tows nicely, holds all my gear, somewhere to shelter/change. Horses have all travelled well in it. The people I’ve had work on it have all admired the design, but just feel it’s the finishing touches that let it down. So (along with the usual safety checks) look for water ingress around the edges of panels, so you know what you’ll need to replace in the future!
This so reminds me of 'Triggers Broom' from Only Fools and Horses. If I had a car that had had to have this level of replacement parts I would deem it to be a money pit and would have got rid of it. When we sold our 12 year old trailer (for a larger version) the only replacement parts it had had were tyres and a lens cover ( due to my poor reversing). No panel damage, no floor damage, perfect electrics etc. Buy quality, buy once. Light, airy, smooth ride, no rattles. Bockmann!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
This so reminds me of 'Triggers Broom' from Only Fools and Horses. If I had a car that had had to have this level of replacement parts I would deem it to be a money pit and would have got rid of it. When we sold our 12 year old trailer (for a larger version) the only replacement parts it had had were tyres and a lens cover ( due to my poor reversing). No panel damage, no floor damage, perfect electrics etc. Buy quality, buy once. Light, airy, smooth ride, no rattles. Bockmann!
Agree BUT Bockmann do not do trailers big enough to genuinely carry 2 18hh horses and no living - equitrek is a fabulous design , adore using our one which has been rebuilt to OUR standard but the original build quality ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Check ramp. They can warp if the wood gets wet. Ask to put it down and back up to make sure it closes neatly and does not need wedging shut. Receipted work is useful and Service history. Make sure the bunk still slots into place. Little things like that are annoying!

Reactions: TPO

humblepie

Visit site
In addition to the above - does it have power struts on the doors - no idea if trailers do or if that is just the lorries. OH has replaced a few on lorries that weren't that old. Hope it is nice and suits you.

windand rain

Visit site
joins were the issue on a mates equitrek anywhere the wee could get to rotted out and was really difficult to repair even though it was cleaned before and after every use. I guess two 18hh will make lots of pee

McFluff

Visit site

That is a fair point. However, I have a 13 year old trailer, that has been up and down the UK (not with me, I'm too lazy to go that far!) many times. I've had it for 6 years and have spent less on it and the work than I would have spent to buy a Bockmann - assuming of course I could have found one (I couldn't when I was originally looking). And with the work I've had done, I could sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. I love the design of my Equitrek - I can leave kit in it, don't need to put anything in the car, have somewhere (clean) to change and sit between classes, and have lots of space for my horse. It is frustrating that the build quality is so poor, however, there are good services out there that can repair and improve them for you - letting you have your cake and eat it!

I should also confess that I have a 17 year old Defender that is about to become the ulitimate triggers' broom as she heads off for a full refurb. So, I'm maybe wired a bit wrong!!!

Edited to correct my rubbish spelling!

Annagain

Visit site
In a weird way, if it has lots of replacement parts it isn't necessarily a bad thing as it will mean a lot of the issues have been sorted as the basic chassis seem to be good, it's the stuff on top that aren't.

Having said that, the axles were a problem on very early show trekkers. Can't quite remember the dates now but if it's one that was affected, check the axles have been uprated. The ramp was the thing that went on my friend's - the seal at the top isn't great so when it rains the water gets in and the ply under the rubber on the ramp rots. Check the ramp is good and solid with your hands - give it a good push all over, you can feel it give under your hand if it's soft.

Alibear

Visit site
Mines a 2012 build show treka, purchased 2nd hand and I love it. I agree they are marmite trailers, the build quality matches the price for me.
Mine seemed fine when I got it but 6 months later the board inside the ramp went to mush very suddenly. As that was sealed between the outer layers it would be tough to check for but I would recommend walking all around the ramp when it's down just to see if you can feel any softer spots. Test that the hob works in the living as that will check that it's all still connected up OK and that all the lights work.
My local trailer repair place easily fixed the ramp for me with a new thicker board but we went for carpet rather than rubber on it, partly down to availability and partly to have a thinner outer to make up for the thicker inner so it still shuts nicely.
I love having a tack locker and it's surprising just how much stuff you can fit in it. I also stayed away in it for the first time this week and it was surprisingly cosy.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
sorry to jump on this but the owner of this who is going to sell it ( only bought it to do up to sell) has no clue what year this is or value to sell once refitted and new kitchen?? Anyone know the year?

Attachments

• 20210907_113311.jpg
    20210907_113311.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210907_113303.jpg
    20210907_113303.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 16